Fuel Tubing on Slash shocks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmcfoot

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I see some babble around and about, that talks about using RC fuel tubing on the shock shafts. Couple questions:

1.) What does this do?

2.) How do you do it? ie How much to use, and where to put it, does the front use more or less than the back or the same?

OK I guess it was more than a couple of questions....Sorry.:p

I see some babble around and about, that talks about using RC fuel tubing on the shock shafts. Couple questions:

1.) What does this do?

2.) How do you do it? ie How much to use, and where to put it, does the front use more or less than the back or the same?

OK I guess it was more than a couple of questions....Sorry.:p

Its used to keep you cog lower, an as far as how much its all up to you, you have to pull the shock apart an put in under the plunger, an test an tune from there, the more you use the less travel an the lower to the ground it will be.

they're just spacers to limit the throw on your shocks

put inside to make rideheight lower, put outside to act like bumpstops

doesn't have to be fuel tube (i find it hard to cut square & accurately),
can be a stack of washers or 3mm o-rings. I use o-rings.

Are you racing or bashing? If you're bashing you probably don't need to worry about it too much.

Do your rear shocks have the small blue pieces of rubber on top of your spring cup? If so, push down on the truck until it touches the ground. Check the distance between the blue rubber piece and the bottom of the shock (if any) and cut your fuel tubing so that it will "stop" the truck from touching the ground with 1/4 to 3/8 of clearance.

I personally don't believe in adding bumpstops. In the rear of a truck, you can't have too much bump (up) travel, and if you limit it too much you can bottom out the shock going though a corner if there's a lot of weight transfer (i.e. a high speed sweeper). Doing this will cause a very sudden oversteer condition (or a traction roll) and will cost a lot of time during a race. There are many opinions out there concerning this, so play with setups and find what you like. I tend to apply what I learned about chassis handling while racing Pro-Lites to these trucks and it seems to work for me.

If you're looking to limit the down travel of your shock, use plastics washers or spacers under the piston instead of rubber hose or o-rings. They give a more consistent stopping point for the shock.

Thanks for the tips, I am racing a slash 4x4 completely stock. I will be putting in some practice laps this Friday and Saturday, race on Sunday. I am going to mess with the setups on Saturday.
I will probably have some more questions for you guys after this weekend once I learn a little bit about how it is responding with the current set up.
As of right now it seems to spin out pretty easily, I have to really "feather" the throttle on take off around corners or even in corners.
Seems to jump well and land well, it's the loosey goosey I don't like.

The problem you are having is over-steer. Here are a few ways to help with that:

Softer rear oil/springs
Firmer front oil/springs
Add front swaybar, or adjust it to be firmer.
Adjust rear swaybar to be softer, or remove it.
Firmer foams in front tires
Softer foam in rear tires

There are more variables than this for sure, but it will get you started. Make one change at a time so you can see if it helps- this is time consuming but also very important. If you make 5 changes at once, 2 of them may help and three may hurt you, but you have no way of knowing which one did what.

^^^ or might just need the PE's centre diff :)

The tubing is most useful for those doing speed runs as you can lower the truck on the cheap and it is relative easy to do. Not worth it really if you race much or bash though.

Back