Fs racing atv conversion almost as good as 4by4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebombersfan

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Since my fs racing atv had the differential gears break and parts were not available as this atv is so rare I finally came up with a fix that I think made it even better then ever.
It involed drilling holes that goes through the outer assembly drivetrain through wheel shafts and using a finishing nail like a cotter pin to keep everthing locked together, worked out nicely. At first I only did one side but then only had one wheel power which made it impossible to drive straight and alot of spin outs. So I ended up having to do it to the other side as well and wow what a difference. With full power on both wheels it feels like 4by4. I thought steering would be less sensitive but surprisingly I noticed no disadvantages. But I still added a little lead weight to the front anyway just for more grip on the front wheels.
In the picture you can see the nails on each side of the chain. Those diff gears in my opinion just make things more complicated more expensive and less reliable and not to mention crappy performance because if one tire spins it gets stuck right away. I understand the importance of this system in full size cars but not RC cars+trucks.
nitro 003.jpg
nitro 005.jpg

In RC cars, what you did is known as "locking the diff". This is done sometimes for guys that like straight line power. If you raced or ran in dirt, you might notice that the turning does suffer.

The only real issue with doing this is that there is now no give at all in your driveline which could lead to other issues, like burned up spurs or possibly in your case burned up spurs and busted chains.

Decent RC's have sealed diffs so you can put different weight oil in them to control how much power transfers to the tire that is always on the ground.

To be honest, I did the same as you on the rear diff in my t-maxx when I had it because I kept burning through spider gears (gears inside the diff) and got tired of fixing it. In my case, I just filled the diff with JB weld. Lasted a good long while, but it did hamper turning on dirt. I drove mostly in grass, so it was really not that noticeable.

All that said, that is a cool rig! Seeing a chain on one is kind of neat to see. Does the rear have any type of shock absorption? Or is it just solid? Might want to get a little exhaust extender to get some of that oil and gunk further out the back instead of all over the rear axle.

I hope to upload my own video of it in action on to youtube eventually but there is one on already if you check the link, they are extremly rare. Unfortunatly I'm not sure of the future of fs Racing nitro's as I heard from Zero Gravity(american supplier) that they lost two engineers and that there $40,000 order could not be filled from fs factory in china. I was beginnig to think that this fs Racing might be like the new ford of nitro's maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back