Foam Tires? WTH?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrotrout

Nitro Junkie
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just bought my first nitro touring car. It came equipped with foam tires.
I intend to run this car on asphalt and concrete primarily. I don't think foam tires are going to cut it. What are they intended for?
Also, I'm shopping for tires and they're measured in "shore"? Is that the same as diameter? Thanks buddies :hehe:

Shore: Basically the stickiness/grip and wear rate of the tire. Nothing to do with diameter.

Foams generally have better grip than rubber but a lot depends on the surface.
Un-prepped/dusty/gravel etc, rubber will usually stand a better chance than foams.

Foams will wear at a quicker rate on most concrete than on most asphalt.

There’s a concrete paved banked oval at my local track that with Foams I can cut 6 second laps when it’s dialed in. With Rubber my lap times go up to about 7.5 seconds.
I also only get approx 75 laps on the foams when it’s hooked up compared to 100’s of laps with the rubber.

On the asphalt road course for comparison, the foams get 100’s of laps when setup properly. If not setup well you can wear a new set of foams out in a very short time, same with rubber.

Set-up is critical for touring cars both for handling and tire wear. Read everything you can about setup and then read it again…:)

I bought some from here to practice with
http://www.hobbypartz.com/110car.html

They have a few sets for 3.90 bought 3 complete sets of 4 for 30 w ship.

These are what I picked up
photo.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Snook. I'm assuming the higher the shore number, the harder the compound?
Harder compound lasting longer than soft but also less grip than soft?

Proper setup is something I'll have to work at. I have a whole lot of adjustment options with this car. A lot more adjustments than I ever made with my off road cars. Luckily, it came with a simple to understand set up sheet included..

I don't know when I'm going to make it to a track with this thing, all the tracks in my area have disappeared, I'd like to get to a track eventually. In the meantime I'll probably learn to drive it in empty parking lots and such.

@Spade, thanks for the link. I'm dumbfounded by all the brands and types of tires available for these cars.

Last edited:
Thanks Snook. I'm assuming the higher the shore number, the harder the compound?
Harder compound lasting longer than soft but also less grip
You got it.
Set up for on road is much more critical than off road. You will notice every little Change you make if you get a lot of run time.

Yeah man I am learning too no worries I bought the cheapies to run instead of what came w my hpi and am actually getting a free pair from a member on another forum and a pair with some bodies I bought used to practice with finally got my car started today to flood the engine o_O feel like a dunce but I'm happy I started it lol

Back