Flywheel mounting problem for Fioroni clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodf1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello,
I was trying to install my new Fioroni clutch the other night on my OS .28XZ and could not get the nut "tight enough". When I would try to tighten the nut, the flywheel would just spin on the shaft. :(

I had no problems putting the Team Associated clutch back on it whatsoever. I guess I'll run the AE clutch a little longer. Not sure if I need a new collet or what.

Any ideas what to try? I did try tapping the flywheel / collet with a hammer to seat it first, but as soon as I would try to tighten the nut, the flywheel could just slip again. I even drilled the inside of the nut slightly to make sure the threads in the nut werent' bottoming out on the shoulder of the crank, and no difference.

Any help would be much appreciate! :D

Is this the "turboslide" clutch?

It sounds like the flywheel just isn't making enough contact with the collet to maintain enough pressure to keep from slipping. If you take the flywheel off and just set the collet in there does it seem to seat well or does it rock a little?

yes, its the turbo sliding clutch, and I'm using the universal flywheel setup, which is what is supposed to fit from what I read.

When I put the collet on it seemed to fit okay, but???? I'm not really sure what to try. The flywheel didn't seem to fit loose, it just spins in the crank without a lot of resistance.

Put a couple washers behind the collar to shim it forward a bit. Be sure the washers are only contacting the inner race and not your front bearing seal. I have had to do that a couple times. Normally it is more for spacing issues than loose flywheel though. Give that a try. It will be just like being able to get that couple extra threads on it.

A local guy told me that I'll have to have a new flywheel collet. So hopefully tha't's the only problem. They didn't have any in stock, or else I would have tried it by now.

ANyone reading this, you may just try a new collet and see if that gets you in shape.
THanks for the help everyone.

Are you using a pull start, roto-start, or electro-start? You can just shim under the flywheel collet.

I just use a starter box. .28XZ has no other option anyway.
I'm going to try the new collet first and see what happens.

Back