Fixed the High Rev take off on Aftershock

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagecre

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
SO your Aftershock takes a high rev just to get moving.. you know in the back of your mind that it's not right.

Well I have your Answer.........Hpi savage three shoe clutch shoes and springs
yes shoes and springs the Hpi springs are lighter than the Losi springs. My mach .26ss pops serious wheelies and jumps when I just touch the throttle.

Other benefits are the motor sounds so much better sounds FATTER and now I'm getting all the power when I want it.

I've also read about people upgrading the trannys to lst 2 but I can't see that helping if the Losi springs dont open quick like they do now. plus it dosent cost as much......how can you go wrong..

Thanks fasteddie It just didnt sit right with me reving my motor that high just to get going...

I thought the same thing, but I compared my HPI shoes to the stock shoes and I was affraid the bell wouldn't fit over them once they were installed...

DAMNIT!

Oh well. I have noticed that mine engages earlier now that I have a few gallons through the original clutch though. Still not nearly as early as my savage used to.

Thanks for the info. I always liked the HPI shoes. Long life and decent grip.

yeah man My LOsi Aftershock is kickin butt. even the tranny shifts better its louder if that makes any sence. It flat out huals ***. but I've got the O.S. .30 the Losi springs might work better for this motor. The mach .26 I had in my savage was keepin up with my buds 4.6 savage so I knew that this motor should just rip..well It does.

and you should never be afraid to try stuff in this hobby.You just never know!

Well, I didn't have any spare HPI shoes/springs laying around. I'm not sure what I had. I think they are sportwerks. It's what my LHS had when I had my mammoth.

I tried those shoes/springs and the springs are so soft that it almost drags at idle. I ran about 500cc's through it yesterday and I really liked the earlier engagement, but it was too early. It wouldn't let me keep my idle high enough to keep it running all the time. Starting it was a real bear.

So, until I get a set of HPI shoes/springs, I figured I'd try and lighten the ones I have up a bit:
2007-0715-SWLightenedShoes.jpg

I did this when I installed a savage clutch in my revo and it gave me a few more RPM's prior to engaging. I went a little more aggressive on the AS though. If all else fails, I still have the stock shoes/springs.

I know, I got a little off on that one shoe... I'm not sure what I was thinking...

still looks good. You have to make do with what you have. my Losi is still bangin it out temps are good too. I like the hpi shoes and springs on it.

So has anyone tryed it yet Let me know how you like the switch. come on guys .

Great tip man.

I was just wondering if you ever tried the Alloy shoes on your AS? I had a similar problem when I was running my LST. The shoes were great but after a while the shoes started to slip. Once I put on a clutch set up from a MBX5, it never had that problem.

I am glad your engine has found the grip it needs to get going. Please keep up the good work!

thanks jon2 I will.

I'm always trying to find new ways to correct some of the hobbies frustating problems...lol its just another part of the hobby

I have this same problem in mine. I was wondering if it was mabye the high speed screw? I don't want to spend any $ so do you think that will help? Or what will?
Thanks

After a couple bashing buddies saw how mine reacted off the line, they were immediately asking me what I changed. I told them the shoes/springs. Then they asked if I'd pick up a couple sets of shoes for them the following weekend... we spent the first half hour of our next bash session installing their new shoes and they couldn't have been happier.

You just get such a better throttle/RPM range out of the truck and it tends to run better/cooler due to not having to wrap it out so much off the line every single time you want to move it. Plus, it adds wheelies.

I'm still running my "modified" HPI shoes as they work just fine. I have a spare set of new HPI shoes/springs now for when they wear out.

Great upgrade. Thanks again for the tip savagecre.

I have this same problem in mine. I was wondering if it was mabye the high speed screw? I don't want to spend any $ so do you think that will help? Or what will?
Thanks

The problem in this thread doesn't really have much to do with engine tuning. I mean, a poorly tuned engine will give you issues, but this thread was to help with the really late engagement of the stock clutch. If your running the stock clutch and your engine is running really fat, you will have a tough time getting it moving without running at a high throttle. With the HPI shoes/springs, a bad tune will still be noticeable, but more in the loss of power rather than in the movement of the truck from idle.

Hey I just glad I could share this Idea with all the Aftershock fans. I mean I hated the way it sounded leaving off the line. now yeah wheelies and power at your finger tips .

you know I just dropped in my Dynamite platinum .28 into the Aftershock straightr out of the savage. Flywheel and all. I just opened the hole in the main deck plate to make room for the off-set flywheel no I can run losi's flywheel or Hpi flywheels it wont matter.

All you need to do is buy a pack of shaft shims. I think the ones I used were like .010 thick and the losi clutch bell will fit on the savage set up all together. use a dremil with a carbide cutter bit and slot out the flywheel opening in the deck plate and you can use both set ups. I have two trucks A Savage and A LOsi so this works out good for me.

Yeah but when your running two different trucks and you want to swap out the motors for say a different Track or what ever I can just pull the motor and re install it..But What ever works for yah thats great Just trying to give out Ideas to people who might need them

I was wondering if these shoes and springs would work on an Mach 427, and if so could you please give me a part number?

Doesn't make much diff on the engine... what flywheel you running? Shouldn't really matter either though.

Here's the shoes: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFXU7&P=ML

I've run them on a M26SS, LRP28, OS21RG, mach 427 gold head and grey head. All with the losi LST/AS flywheel/CB. I also have them on a losi flywheel on a XTM 24.7 in my buggy... with an OFNA bell.

I've run them on an OS21RG, TRX2.5R, OS18TM as well with a savage flywheel.

Last edited:
well the new losi 3 piece aluminum shoes wrk really well also, and i have some aluminum 3 piece ofna clutch shoes on my aftershock and i get plenty of grab and planty more grab to come. the more i upgrade the more i wish i had the stock truck back =(
(TOO MUCH POWER)

Back