Fish tank pics...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is officially running. I have pool filter sand, but I did not get it rinsed today.
20181111_202215.jpg

Looking good! Hope the new light gets your reef back to healthy.
My 90g turned a year on the 3rd. I'll post a pic tomorrow. About 75% sps now with great growth.

All the corals are looking better day by day.

That looks great! What is the top left most coral? Some monti?

That looks great. I see it now. I used to have gsp in my 5.5.

I haven't gotten great extension yes, but they are still coming out more and more every day. The zoas were closed up for a couple months. They're now opening mostly and even staying open in the dark again.

Some can take a LONG time to come back around.

I tested my water with my old expired test kits this morning. Everything was good I think. I've been using reef crystals.

Nitrate-barely above 0 if at all.
SG- 1.025 (small tank, I keep it low for evap.)
Calc-460-480ppm
Kh- 9-10
Phosphate-0 (I'm not confident in this. This particular kit has never given me a positive reading at all)

I do not have a magnesium test kit, and I didn't test ph or nitrite.

Shouldn't have nitrites unless it had a small cycle. I never test for MAG either, just phosphates, nitrates, alk and calcium. I dose alk and calcium twice every day. If you ever get into sps, you will end up actually wanting nitrates and phosphate, very small amount but they actually do better with those two present. I run a big skimmer (sca 302) and feed very heavy to get my nitrates just above zero. Alot of people are opting to go skimmerless now and just rely on a monthly water change.

Interesting about people stopping with skimmers. I've been thinking about getting the 40 set up without the sump. It will be in my room and I'd rather just go HOB. AQ110 or 70 and wavemakers.

So I did some research and saw something where someone had their aqua knight set to 100% blues and 60% whites. I dimmed the whites down last night after easing the whole light to 100% last week. I can't be sure, but I think the corals are extending a little better. I'll let it ride here for a few days and see what happens.

My Sanrise r60's, have 6 different channels, channel one being whites. I actually never ran them at all until recently when I changed out half the whites for royal blues and now run them at 10%. 100% for RB, b, and uv. You don't even have to run whites if you don't want to. Jason Fox only runs actinics on all of his grow out tanks and he has some of the baddest corals you will see.

Oh yeah. I remember the Reef Builders episode with him. The corals haven't changed much if any today. I will not buy any more until I get another tank set up and can use the 10 for quarantine.

Nice tank! I keep telling myself I need to try a saltwater tank someday... but my current setup, all my filters need to be inside the tank, so salt won't work...

My tank has been running for +10 years. January I had the worst green algae bloom I have ever dealt with. Finally got it cleaned up last week...

Three weeks ago-

Last night-

Nice tank! I keep telling myself I need to try a saltwater tank someday... but my current setup, all my filters need to be inside the tank, so salt won't work...

My tank has been running for +10 years. January I had the worst green algae bloom I have ever dealt with. Finally got it cleaned up last week...

Three weeks ago-
View attachment 95287
Last night-
View attachment 95286
Wow I thought my dad had an algae problem in his 125 gallon. But looks like she cleaned up real nice.

2 of my dads 3 fish tanks.
1st is a 125 gallon salt water tank 2nd is a 60 gallon fresh water tank.

My corals are using some magnesium like crazy right now. It tested at 900ppm on wednesday. Today it was between 500-600. I tested my fresh mixed water and got 1380. Calcium was 460, all was between 7-8. I may need to get some mg to dose with. It's looking much better now. Coralline is coming back.

Last edited:
Back