Fish tank pics...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The frogs pawn never really looked too bad. But it's starting to look better, the candy cane was almost dead. Some of the polyps that have bounced back weren't showing anything but skeleton for the last couple weeks before I started my routine again.
2017-11-26 10.59.14.jpg
2017-11-26 09.41.39.jpg
2017-11-26 09.40.01.jpg

I had wondered if you still had a reef. The chinese black box lights are great for the price. They have been proven countless times to grow coral very very well. They are very bright so need to acclimate slowly upping the intensity over a few weeks but I know alot of people only run like 20% whites and 60% blues about a foot above the top. 1 165w would be perfect for a lps/softy 40b I think. I bought the 300w MarsAqua.

I figured I can always add a 2nd later on if I'd like. I'm trying to decide if I want to run a sump/refugium or just hang an aq110 on it and call it a day. Maybe run the 110 as a refugium.

Tough decision. I've always prefered running a sump and in tank (sump) skimmer.

That's what I've been thinking. I have almost everything to get just the 40b started though. May get it running then cycle and add the sump separately later. I'll decide when the time come.

You should post the your 40 after you get it clean. I assume it looks as good as your other tanks.

No it looks bad, almost everything is closed up with the ammonia spike. Has me nervous. Hopefully they will all come back around soon, then I'll get a pic.

10-4. Hope it does better. I remembered you were on that other site so I went and found your 20l thread. Good stuff.

Last night at about 8pm, my calcium was about 400ppm and my alkalinity was 10dkh. I just got home and tested it. It's 440ppm calcium and a dkh of 8. Is this the whole dose 1 and the other drops thing? I've been struggling to get my calcium past 400 since I've rebooted the tank. The coral's look ok. I figured they were starved for these nutrients and we're using it up until I tested calc.

What salt are you using?

I bought instant ocean because I was only looking to buy a small box. My LFS did not have the boxes of reef crystals, just buckets and big bags.

Sorry to hear about your sps and the old 20l. Hopefully everything will rebound with the new tank.

A different LFS had the box bulk boxes of instant ocean for 30 bucks on black friday, but I didn't not purchase one because I want to use reef crystals.

Also, the coral skeletons and snail shells are started to get that nice bright white new growth again.

Don't you have a Petsmart? They sell Reef Crystals.

It's amazing how much those zoas have browned out under my weager current led in less than a week. I really can't wait to buy a better light.

Time to get your 40 going ;)

Oh yes. I'm thinking I will make it barebottom. I was watching videos of how easy cleanup is and how much there actually is and I want to see how it is. I wanted a pistolshrimp/goby pair, but I'll be ok without them.

Plus a carpet of zoas or acans or a variety of things would be cool.

Last edited:
Carpeted zoas look so sick. Barebottom is cool for sure. Not going to get nutrient traps without it.

Some stuff is. Gsp and zoas are slowly opening a bit. Brains look full and healthy again too.

I'm glad to hear. Gsp are insanely hard to kill. I know that from experience.

Back