First time racing electric, couple questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synnyzter

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I am a very long time nitro guy, finally decided to try an electric on the track. I will start in 2WD SC blinky.

Got me a FT SC10, just bought a Tekin Redline 17.5 and RS ESC. Only questions I really have are what is a good starting gear ratio? Also what are safe temps for that motor under heavy load? If I get a good starting point I can always gear up or down one tooth at a time but no clue what to start at.

The track is medium size, outdoor, medium to high traction, dirt not clay.

I guess a few tips or tricks would be cool too ;)

140*F is a good temp for the motor after a run.

I am running a B4.2 in blinky right now. I try to keep my temps in the 130-140ish range My gearing is 29/75, and I have the timing on my can at 31 deg. I can still get more top speed, but I am still practicing. Even after years of bashing.. nothing is like getting on a track and staying in 8-12 ft lanes. For your SC10 it depends on what temps you are running now, to figure out how many degrees of timing. for the sc10 23-25/75 is where some people I have seen are running it at. Once you put that gearing on. temp your motor. then adjust some timing.

I also run on a track that is dirt, not clay. I have found that the Blue compound barcodes give me the best traction so far, until the are about 50% or less than, they are almost worthless. Next time I find a deal on some holeshots, I will try them next. but your sc10 will probably react differently since the size and shape of the tire is different.

Thats all I can think of for now if you have any more questions hit me up

Well 25-76 is where I ended up and the motor is running 140ish on a hot day which is nice. I still have to look into setting the timing...on the tekin red line I see has a range of 0-12 inscribed in the can and it seems to be set to like 10°. Never done before so I'll Google it later lol.

Thanks for the tips. I went with multiple tires, hole shot 2, city blocks, and subcultures. They all work great on my track and most people there are running one of those 3.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

i wouldnt run any timing in the motor, all my race motors timing are 0, wait untill you race again and see how your speed is compared to other cars. and change your gearing, timing will produce alot of heat, where gearing wont be so dramatic.

i wouldnt run any timing in the motor, all my race motors timing are 0, wait untill you race again and see how your speed is compared to other cars. and change your gearing, timing will produce alot of heat, where gearing wont be so dramatic.

I find it odd you say this. The reedy sonic 17.5 I use is set stock at 20 deg timing. and I had max temps of 105 on a 25 minute run. Everyone that races stock here locally uses timing. Even the people that run the trinity motor use advanced timing some as much as 45 deg depending on where they are running. As long as you monitor your temps, and adjust your gearing for your track, before adjusting timing for the first time you will be fine. Its better if you have someone around with a bit more experience with it, but just go up 1 deg at a time if you are that worried.

Btw I lowered my timing by about 6deg today due to the ambient temp being really high. Of course you dont have to run timing, but I say practice exactly as you plan on racing.. and here either you run timing, or you are left behind.

In blinky/stock you can't set the timing on the esc so we gotta use that can :).

Well I just read its a better idea to gear up instead of use timing in SC. Because using no timing apparently gives the motor more torque and less top end, but gearing compensates so you get the best of both worlds...

Let me rephrase, all my motors are set at "factory" timing, I should have said, i dont change timing in my motors, some motors run factory preset timing. But Its a known fact Timing produces more heat than gearing.

Well I used my lhs hot link and a fellow racer helped me set it up, and set it to blinky. It actually made a huge improvement in performance. I guess removing the factory settings helped with my gearing and worked out well. The timing made acceleration suffer due to the 25/76 gears (I guess) lol.

Anyhow I'm no longer upset about the purchase as its competitive now. Gearing is a huge deal in electric apparently lol.

Ahh, well thats good to know for me.. SC is going to be my next class for racing. makes sense about the timing thing.. thanks for the info and correcting me.. we all can't be right all the time :)

I found in Electrics you really can't get help online so no one corrected you. Every track, condition, and truck is different as well as driving style so the only way to get the most out of your rig is trial and error. At least this is my conclusion from new experiences.

After weeks of reading none of it helped, I simply ran it, tried different gears, different timings, and eventually this week found my "sweet spot" that suits me my truck and my local track. Much credit due to experienced people at my track who were helpful and insightful.

My advice now, set electronics stock, buy a few gears which are cheap, and play around. This is the simple method I used and I am now on capable to be on par with lap times as the fastest guys. Just my 2 cents...

+1. The regulars at the track that have been there a while are really helpful at my local track. I've been seriously thinking about getting into on-road VTA racing. They've been really helpful in answering all my questions.

Well I've been racing blinky a few months and I've pulled a 2nd and a 3rd in heats, and 5th in a main, my best finishes. I must say 17.5 is tough, wreck once your done lol, I love it! Not the fastest but I feel the most competitive.

Thanks for the tips fellas, I'm quickly becoming a contender at my track in blinky :)

Back