First time gluing tires.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetroKevin

Bashing is a way of life!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
So I got some fairly cheap drifting tires for one my 1/10 on road cars. I didn't know it when I bought them but they didn't come pre-glued. No biggie I bought tire glue awhile ago.

They were a very tight fit. I ended up using a heat gun to get them to fit (maybe mistake #1). After they cooled down I cleaned the seam up with denatured alcohol and used tire glue on them.

20210814_233549.jpg

20210814_231635.jpg

I personally think I did a sloppy job, but hey it's my first time 🤣

Should I have done anything different?

I haven't done the other side yet because I'm waiting for the glue to dry. And if I totally messed up it'd be easier to fix it now.

I usually peel the bead back ,an put a drop in on the bead an let it pop back in place
in increments all around the tire in spots as I walk around the tire ,not all at once!
I do that on all 4 tires on one side ,then I go back to the first one that I started with
an repeat the process for the other side!
You dont need special glue from the hobby store ,you can get regular super glue!..:thumbs-up:

I usually peel the bead back ,an put a drop in on the bead an let it pop back in place
in increments all around the tire in spots as I walk around the tire ,not all at once!
I do that on all 4 tires on one side ,then I go back to the first one that I started with
an repeat the process for the other side!
You dont need special glue from the hobby store ,you can get regular super glue!..:thumbs-up:
So that was my plan. But these aren't rubber. They seem to be the same compound/plastic that the rim or rc parts are made from.

I didn't want to add the glue to the rim before hand seeing as I had to heat the tire up to get it to fit, and wasn't sure what heat would do to the curing process. I also had to move quickly after the heating. I didn't want to over heat and deform the tire.

I do have to say, as I was gluing I thought it smelled just like every other brand of super glue I've used. However what I have doesn't cost any more than any other super glue I've used. Give or take a few cents per gram.

So I got some fairly cheap drifting tires for one my 1/10 on road cars. I didn't know it when I bought them but they didn't come pre-glued. No biggie I bought tire glue awhile ago.

They were a very tight fit. I ended up using a heat gun to get them to fit (maybe mistake #1). After they cooled down I cleaned the seam up with denatured alcohol and used tire glue on them.

View attachment 130880
View attachment 130881
I personally think I did a sloppy job, but hey it's my first time 🤣

Should I have done anything different?

I haven't done the other side yet because I'm waiting for the glue to dry. And if I totally messed up it'd be easier to fix it now.
As @cbaker65 said, I put the tire on, pull back the bead, and put tiny drops in. If you want something to make the job super clean and simple, try this out. You put the glue onto the tip then you just dab it on the bead.

As @cbaker65 said, I put the tire on, pull back the bead, and put tiny drops in. If you want something to make the job super clean and simple, try this out. You put the glue onto the tip then you just dab it on the bead.
I will definitely get one of these. Thanks. But these aren't rubber tires. They're a hard compound/plastic. So once they were set there was zero wiggle room.

Edit: the glue did seap into the bead a little bit. So I'm hoping it's not just a superficial exterior seam...

Last edited:
I will definitely get one of these. Thanks. But these aren't rubber tires. They're a hard compound/plastic. So once they were set there was zero wiggle room.

Edit: the glue did seap into the bead a little bit. So I'm hoping it's not just a superficial exterior seam...
Then you maybe could use acetone or nail polish remover (same thing) to glue them? Never had plastic tires, but if it is a similar plastic to the wheels on most RC the acetone will weld it together.

Then you maybe could use acetone or nail polish remove (same thing) to glue them? Never had plastic tires, but if it is a similar plastic to the wheels on most RC the acetone will weld it together.
Not a bad idea. Just checked on them. Almost seems like the tire glue "melted" the plastic as well.

20210815_013946.jpg

🤷🏽‍♂️
I'm gonna glue the other side and test them tomorrow. I'll update the post here with my results 😆

Not a bad idea. Just checked on them. Almost seems like the tire glue "melted" the plastic as well.

View attachment 130883
🤷🏽‍♂️
I'm gonna glue the other side and test them tomorrow. I'll update the post here with my results 😆
Did a good job for your first glue job..on hard plastic tires with no flex.. well done👍👍.. did they have a full size bead in them? plus you won't see that tiny bit of excess glue.Once you mount them on RC.. Did you get any glue tips with you bottle?? Almost looks like syringe tips like these. If not sould look into them.. really fine tip and are disposable.. helps with getting the glue down into the rims bead tray..

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/hsALZ1EGsX8U

I find it tough to do a decent job myself. In fact I love every part of working on RCs but this part. :mad:
Besides that handle little tool I linked above, they make needle tips for the glue bottles too that really helps.

I just watched a video from a guy in the UK who used a glue that looks just like Shoe Goo to glue on his tires. He was giving it a try and it actually looked to work really good. Anybody here ever tried it?

Did a good job for your first glue job..on hard plastic tires with no flex.. well done👍👍.. did they have a full size bead in them? plus you won't see that tiny bit of excess glue.Once you mount them on RC.. Did you get any glue tips with you bottle?? Almost looks like syringe tips like these. If not sould look into them.. really fine tip and are disposable.. helps with getting the glue down into the rims bead tray..

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/hsALZ1EGsX8U
Thanks! I normally read up on something before I do it. This forum and arrmaforum.com have been an amazing source of knowledge. But there is still the learn by doing/making mistakes phase. 😆

Yeah there was a tip that came with it. I only have the one so I blew the excess glue out with my compressor.
I find it tough to do a decent job myself. In fact I love every part of working on RCs but this part. :mad:
I think this was fun because it was a learning experience.

I want to find just the rubber for my dBoots Hoons but I've had no luck. Seems they only make them pre-glued. Which means I'm going to have a 💩 ton of rims for my felony.

I can see how after doing it a bunch it could be a tedious project.

Last edited:
I want to find just the rubber for my dBoots Hoons but I've had no luck. Seems they only make them pre-glued. Which means I'm going to have a 💩 ton of rims for my felony.
This is one thing that really ticks me off about buying tires nowadays, and I blame Traxxas and Horizon. They take away our ability to put a tire and wheel combo on our RC's that we like.
Untitled45_20210815105314.png

This is one thing that really ticks me off about buying tires nowadays, and I blame Traxxas and Horizon. They take away our ability to put a tire and wheel combo on our RC's that we like.
View attachment 130898
When I first got into the hobby (all of earlier this year 😆) I was under the impression that tire gluing and everything was going to be the norm. Now that I've bought half dozen (not including the 4-5 sets of dboots) pair they've all been pre-glued aside from these drift tires.

These are another helpful item when using CA (superglue). Applicator tips
I use them quite a bit.
Nice good to know I'll pick some up here. Thanks! 👍🏼
20210815_102709.jpg

I added marks on the inside to see if they come loose and move.
20210815_103055.jpg

Got them all set up on my Traxxas Stingray. Gotta run some errands with the family. But after I'm finding a smooth parking lot for some drifting fun! 🤘🏼

View attachment 130898
100% agreed. I hate the preglued tires and wheels.. its a horrible design.. and ever have the wheels and tire sets you want for your RC..Its always just basic wheels or stock sets from the company... they should allow us to pick and choose what and how we want them...

Its ok bro ,you will wear those out an you can try again later!..:thumbs-up:

I also have two sets of aluminum MT wheels ,you need a special glue
for those because it is hard to get anything to stick to aluminum!
I usually use weather stripping adhesive that is used around aluminum
windows & frames ,that stuff works well for gluing tires to aluminum!

Aluminum wheels for street car is awesome ,they make the car feel
more stable an not as floaty at high speeds!..:cool:

Back