first break on the esavage...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supernitro17

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
first let me say. i put a pair of reedy matched 3700 battery packs in and they make a HUGE difference. then i put a pair of HPI dirt bonz wheels and light weight rims.. (slightly taller and way wider than stock . but same weight maybe lighter)

i love the truck and the batteries turned it into a real monster. stock vs stock (before batteries) i raced a stock emaxx and smoked it like it was nothing.

after the batteries i couldnt keep the truck on the wheels to give it power, so i had to do some suspension work to make it better, but still couldnt keep it on the wheels.

top speed leaves a little on the table, but with the nasty bottom end it has , i may change the pinions and give it a litle more top end and a little less launch power, but I'm not sure.

now to the point...

i was out cruising around this morning in the back yard (all dirt) and all was going well... and then i launched it from a spot where it REALLY hooks up. and SNAP... diff output shaft snapped. i was surprised that the halfshaft didnt go first since they seem to be the week point. but i picked it up and there it was ... broken steel (or whatever metal it is)... all after a pair of 50 dollar batteries.

only downside is, the hobby shop doesn't have the parts, and i dont have my parts book to order it. so ill have to spend an hour on HPIs site looking for the part i broke in the online instructions. and then order it...

all in all. i love the truck, its great, its tough (except for that one thing) i beat on it HARD all the time and it stands up the the savage name of toughness. since seeing mine at the LHS they have sold 4 more. so hopefully these things will catch on and get some aftermarket support.

one guy already bought a brushless for his and hasnt ever driven the truck... the brushless is a good bit too long for it and there will have to be some grinding done to get it in. but no big deal. i just wish someone would make a specific brushless for it so i dont have to hack up my truck.

I have busted a few C-Hubs. HPI now has upgraded them to be a bit stronger. The out drives on the difs are as loose as trailer park cheerleader from the factory. I tried to shim them out as best as I could but they are still somewhat loose.

I dropped a set of 3600s in her and she lit right up. I now have a set of 7 cell 3600s but haven't had a chance to use them yet. I need to do a little moding to get them to strap in to the holders properly.

I was going to go BL but I know it wont hold up to the power. The last thing I need is a money pit that I have to order parts for. There is no local parts available here.

I love it. I dont piss of the neighbors on Sunday morning like I used to. It was fun seeing them looking out the window when I fired up the nitro.

Back