Finally got a new SC (with pics!)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptAwesome

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As some of you may know by now, I've had a few RC cars, but none of them were ever new. I started off with a T-maxx, got sick of nitro, and traded it for a used short course. It was fun while it lasted, but when it came time to put money into it, I just decided to sell the truck, take that money and the money I would have spent on it, and (finally) buy myself a brand new Slash 4x4

2011-09-05201731.gif

2011-09-05201733.gif

2011-09-05173348.gif

2011-09-05201734.gif

2011-09-05173441.gif

2011-09-05201735.gif

Very first thing I did....

2011-09-05201736.gif

2011-09-05173652.gif

2011-09-05201737.gif

2011-09-05173725.gif

I'm not a huge fan of the Traxxas battery connectors, or their prices, so I decided to go with these...

4_0_banana_plugs_with_the_red.jpg

...because they are rated for high current and come stock on all of the batteries I order anyways. I usually use Anderson power poles, but I figured using the banana style plugs would make it easier in the long run. After about an hour of trying to get the damn things on (and stabbing myself with a screwdriver by accident) I gave up, and just used the power poles.... Then I discovered I was doing it wrong, and felt like a huge jackass. I might switch them back in the future, but for now I guess it's power poles. :\

After that ordeal, I played around with it a little in the driveway (it was already too dark for any serious driving). I have to admit, the Traxxas Venilon brushless setup kicks some serious butt. Way more power than my last used Slash had - and that one was running a 5.5T brushless.

I'm already looking at a few upgrades - RPM bumpers/arms, aluminum big bore shocks, maybe a separate body just for bashing, maybe even a 3S LiPo, but that's still up in the air. I'm just happy I finally got a truck I can finally start from scratch with. Do you guys have any other suggestions for recommended/worthwhile upgrades for the Slash? All ideas appreciated :sign_thankyou:

It looks Great !

Sometimes it's better just to buy the cars from new huh...

how long does it run for with the lipo? just curious :)

It looks Great !

Sometimes it's better just to buy the cars from new huh...

how long does it run for with the lipo? just curious :)

In some cases, it's definitely worth buying a brand new one. I was about to replace the tires and a few other parts, so all in all the money I was going to put into my old one was about $100 total. Instead, I listed the old one for $280, and since the new ones cost $370, I would have saved $10 and got a new one at the same time.

Of course, I didn't end up selling the car for that price. Some guy on another site traded me $190 AND a Spektrum DX7/battery/charger/servos. So I'm really out $180 cash, but I got a $300 air radio and a new car, so I'm cool with that. I wanted to buy a DX6 for my planes soon anyways.

As far as the lipos go, I haven't really done any serious driving. So far only in the driveway a bit, and it was dark out so I kept it slow and was only out there for about 15 minutes. In that 15, the voltage dropped from 4.2/cell to 4.0. The cutoff is at 3.6. So, in theory, I should get 45 minutes under the same conditions. Once I get out in an open and really start beating on the throttle, I imagine it will probably be closer to a half hour. I'll post back when I actually get to play around with it more.

you should sell those Nimhs. Put money towards something else.
Then see if the Tx can be modded just incase you want to add extra stuff that can be controlled via the Tx like led's or fan.You can check by going into the menu tree, going into channel set up, press the button for each channel should blink as you go down the list. Since yours is the 2ch it should go back to 1 after the second channel, the more it goes down the more channels it has.some have just the 2, some have 4, but most have 5.. 5 is actually 4a and 4b as it works together with 4

I do plan to sell the batteries that came with it, the trash thing was a joke.

As far as the radio goes, I've heard about that. I'm still trying to decide if modding is worth it, or if I can sell it and use this: http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

I already have the radio and receiver sitting in my basement, brand new. I bought it for the one I sold, and just haven't gotten around to returning it yet. But if I can get more than $35 for the Traxxas Tx/Rx, I would come out ahead, and get a nicer radio with a third channel.

Congrats on the new rig. Not sure if Traxxas has fixed it yet, but the rear axles used to be a weak point. Might want to pick up some spares now to save downtime.

haha love the way you layed out them pics especially the slash peeking out the box:thumbup::thumbup: i got the slash 2wd setup brand new a month ago and I've only had to replace one of the rear a-arms not sure if the 4x4 is different .

Congrats on the new rig. Not sure if Traxxas has fixed it yet, but the rear axles used to be a weak point. Might want to pick up some spares now to save downtime.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard a lot of people say to go to MIP for axles. Their product looks pretty nice (but expensive). I was already contemplating whether to upgrade of just get a few extra stock ones.

haha love the way you layed out them pics especially the slash peeking out the box:thumbup::thumbup: i got the slash 2wd setup brand new a month ago and I've only had to replace one of the rear a-arms not sure if the 4x4 is different .

That was the very first thing I had to do way back when I had my T-maxx. Luckily, I had some spares on hand then. I plan on ebay-ing a full set of RPM arms and bumpers as soon as I can. and maayybee a light kit. :D

I've got a light kit and they do look frickin awesome wen it gets dark tonight i will post some pics in my slash heads up thread . especially wen your going up and down the people can't see you and are like wtf is that were that come from lol

lol yep Nimhs do need to be binned.
Having said that, they make great paper weights, or door stops.
at least the connector comes in handy.

I probably won't even end up using the connector...

As I mentioned above, I was going to use the EZ banana plug connectors, because that's what comes stock on all my batteries. But after struggling with that for way too long, I switched to power poles, which I already use for all my planes anyways, so it's not a huge deal.

2011-09-06165929.gif

On another note, does anyone want to buy a 7S traxxas battery and charger? lol