Final Proof for what I call BS - top speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Radar checked Top Speed for TC cars

Ok - so for a long time - i have often thought that TC's are going no where near speed at what people claim. Last night, at our local weekly meet, a cop showed up to watch. We were able to convince him to check the speed of the cars with his radar gun. we each took 4 passes, and then avg'd the speed out. i wrote it all down, and although you all may be shocked, here is the official result:

NTC3 w/ .12mt mugen - 44.6mph
NTC3 w/ .12rossi pixie - 41.4mph <--- my car
Reflex pro w/ .12mt mugen - 49.5mph
HPI RS4 3 RTR stock - 29.4mph
NTC3 RTR stock - 32.1mph
NTC3 w/ .12 OS cv-r - 42.9mph
HPI RS4 3 RTR 2spd - 37.4mph
HPI RS4 3 RTR stock - 25.5mph
OFNA 1/8 RTR Mercedes - 32.1mph
Traxxas 4-tec 2.5 - 52.5mph
Duratrax Streetforce - 40.5mph
NTC3 RTR w/ 2spd - 38.8mph

There u go folks. I know these are accurate, as we did four runs each, it took almost an hour to do them all, and my ultimate gratitude to the officer that took all that time to help us out.

Last edited:
Thats cool, however your results are only as good as the tuner of each mill. For example you have two stock HPI RTR3s ith a 4 mph difference, if these were both identical cars should they not be very close to running the same speeds? Another factor is how worn each individual mill is, the more worn the piston and sleeve are the less performance it will have. Yet another speed determining factor, were all the cars using the same tires on the same surface? If not this too will play into your top speed results. I could go on but you get my point. It's nice to know what actual speed your car is running, but to compare it to another car with too many variables does not really give you an accurate comparison between models.

I think the point he was trying to make is that none of them were doing 70 like they all thought.

dont get me wrong NCNitro, i agree wholeheartedly, but my point was the fact that these people that post " i swear it must be doing at least 70mph and its not even broken in, or " i clocked my duratrax streetforce at 92mph", is alot of bologny. but i also posted that to stress the point that u made, about tuning diffs, so people could see the strong variables engine tuning made. and for the most part, the cars tested were all fairly new, with no more than about 3 gallons run through them.

funny thing is that the damn 4-tec was the fastest out there! lol.

:worship: Nice work! Good to see REAL field results once in a while!

You need to tell the guy with the Mugen to lean it a little more and change up his gearring! hehehe He SHOULD have been able to take out that 4 tec! But then again, hes probably dialed in for racing, which at the end of the day, doesn't rely on top speed as much as it does suspension tuning.....

Thanks for the results!

GO MUGEN! I love that mill!

lol christian - i agree with the race setup being part of the cause for the low speeds. the track we race at monthly, is not very large, so top speed is not so much a concern of ours, as is hadling, and most importanly, acceleration. if its any consallation, even my ntc3 just smoked the 4tec off the line, even though its a belt drive

Thats cool..Man the Traxxas owned all of those....I've wanted to ask a cop or someone that has a speed thing to check how fast my truck goes...A cop lives on my block just a couple houses down..Maybe i'll ask them to check it some day !!Hey Nitro your car goes pretty quick...Nice Job

Thanks tiny maxx - its not my first. lol.

Hey Nitro i see you changed your sig...You don't own.....You know who any more? LOL....Do you have any hop-ups on that NTC3 ?I've seen pics of those cars...There was one at the LHS a guy brought in to get fixed......:dance:

the whole owned thing was getting pretty old. it was starting to become a :wedgie: contest. yeah there are some pics of my cars in my gallery. click on the link under my name on the left of this post

Nitronewbie, my bad, I thought you were trying to compare different models, not show that people are full of crap when they say there Duratrax goes 70, which btw you did a nice job of doing. Anyway I thought the review was very cool. Sorry bud.

Dont apologize NC, u have given way too much advice to be sorry for such a silly mistake. what are the odds we can post a link to this thread on the front pg, or copy the results into another thread. i think that everyone would love to see these numbers.

Very nice car NitroN... !Are those a-arms metal or are the just made to look like they are ?

the area we were testing in was pretty large, i would say about 60-80yards. as far as i know, all cars had stock gearing, but i am not sure on that. u may wanna search some posts for your name kwong ........ i think there are some rumors going around, lol......maybe in the general chaos section.....maybe.

that is what nitronewbie is referring to..it was in another thread. I didn't make it up, I am only reporting the facts. I think Candyman has something to say on this matter