few questions from a beginner

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugs2300

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok guys...i just today got the itch to get me a nitro car....i have little to no experience in the rc world but i am an impatient kinda person...so i watched a bunch of video's and read what i could find and decided to go with a revo 3.3...people spoke well of them and it looked like my cup of tea...so i ordered one....heres my questions....first off what do you guys think of my choice...good/bad/crappy/slow/whatever....second...i didn't know there were 2 different revo's an older and a newer....after i came across this info i went to check and see which i had purchased and it was the older one....4508 i think was the number as opossed to 4509 (the newer one)....question is...what is different about them...is the newer one much better performance wise...can the older model be upgraded to perform like the newer one...and what would you suggest for upgrades.....also what would you suggest for future purchases...if i like this as much as i think i will I'm sure ill be buying another before to long....thanks for any help you can throw my way...

The older Revo is shorter than the new one. The longer wheelbase makes a nice difference in handling. I have to say, nitro rc is not for the impatient. There's a steep learning curve. Read through the threads on this site until your eyes hurt. If yours is brand new, I'd suggest picking up a separate glow plug ignitor. It makes starting them way easier and saves juice in the ez start battery. All you should be worried about right now is getting it broke in properly. Do a search on breaking in engines on here and read away. Traxxas does explain it well in the manual, too. First upgrades= 5 cell rx pack. This will replace the 4aa holder that comes stock. A failsafe and a temp gun are must haves as well.

I second that......

It is a different learning curve but nothing to challanging, but I will say that I have had mine for two weeks and have broken it three times; so get ready to spend some money keeping it up. The good thing is that now that you own it fixing it is pretty cheap, well it is for what I have broken in the short amount of time that I have had it. The good thing is that I upgrade everything that I break and buy items in bulk as well to keep me from running back to my LHS. Good choice though as I have a Revo 3.3 (5309)

Good luck and have fun!

Nitro or not, you'll want to look over the parts list. As a beginner, you'll probably break many parts. Until you get used to it, probably stick to wide open parking lots or fields. Luckily, most factory replacement parts are cheap, and you can get them anywhere from $1 to $30, depending on the part.

As far as nitro is concerned, I'm pretty new to it too. The best advice you can get is to break in the motor correctly, and tune it right. Maintain it, and the rest is easy.

Oh yea, and if your hobby shop has a sellout/bargain box, search through it. You never know what you can find. I just found a $16 set of A-arms for mine, for $7.00. Stock up!

A 3.3 Revo is anything but slow. That thing is screaming fast. There is a reason Traxxas rates it a 5 on their 1-5 Experience Level Scale. I am not saying that is not a good rig, just saying it is a beast. Just don't panic and hold the throttle wide open while your Revo hurls itself into a wall at 45 MPH! Laugh all you want, that is how anyone reacts the first time they drive a RC.

Thanks for the replies guys....you info has helped calm me already...lol...and made me laugh (imagining my brand new rig slamming into a wall wide open...expensive...but still funny)hope i don't do that BTW...as for my impatience thats more just the getting started kinda thing, its the anticipation that kills me...but yea i was kinda worried about the break in process and tuning...i havent research that process yet but its top on my list....and i think i already have a temp gun....now the fail safe...how does it work and how do i use it...one thing that sucks is i don't have a LHS i think there is one about an hour from here....if its still there....not sure...anyhow thanks

A failsafe plugs into your receiver then your throttle servo into it. You program it to go to a set point (I prefer full brake) if you go beyond your radio's range and/or receive radio interference.

cool...i figured thats what it was but wasn't sure how it worked and where it went..lol
here's a question for you guys...i got a pint of fuel comin with it...how long is that gonna last me...should i just go ahead a get more....

A pint or a quart??? A pint won't last you long at all. A quart (1/4 gallon) is probably enough to do your break-in.

yea its a quart....i think ill go ahead and get some more on the way....
also what are the most common parts I'm gonna break first....stuff looks cheap may be interested in upgrading the most important stuff

Most often to break are A Arms. Followed by steering links and ends. RPM arms are a good upgrade but stay away from aluminum. Yeah, it looks good, but arms need to give. If they don't you will be breaking something more costly somewhere up the chain.

First off, don't go and buy a 5-cell pack. The revos all come with one as well as the charger. Secondly, the NEWER 5309 has a 2.4ghz radio which is great. Aside from that, the only differences between that and the 5308 is one has reverse, one doesn't, I don't know which is which. I think I have the older 5309, but I'm not sure, it's 2 years old. The short chassis is an old school 2.5, you won't find a new one. Some also have 1 steering servo and some have 2. I believe the 3.3's went in this order; #5309, 5308, 5309. The newer 5309 also has the t-maxx tires on geode wheels. You may want to get a good exhaust, I would recommend a THS 146. It'll be a serious power boost to your 3.3, and the stock system will get all bent up as you crash. The good systems are spring mounted. That, pullstart, and a forward only if your truck has reverse. You'll have a real screamer then. I wouldn't worry too much about the a-arms, bulkheads, etc. They're pretty tough, but will break. RPM is the only way to go on that stuff.....excellent products.

A quart of fuel will get you through break-in. I would look for something better than top fuel too, it burns, but it sucks.

When you break one buy two. Trust me! waiting for parts on a great sunny day, off to work, and free time really really sucks. I know I'm impatient too when it comes to waiting for parts.

The only other upgrade that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is a Motor Saver air filter. They allow the engine to breathe better. This is a great low-cost upgrade that is a good addition to the new tuned pipe.

Back