Expensive mistake or can I adapt them

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theraggyone

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
So I think I've messed this up and it's going a turn into an expensive mistake but I'm going to ask incase there is anything I can do before I cut my losses.

I bought some proline desperado rims with masher 2.8 tyres for my truck, I got the ones with 1/2 offset thinking they would be correct ( stupidly i didn't look at my current wheels first) as I wanted a wide stance.

I've fitted them and they clear all my suspension and pivots etc but they rub my body shell at full compression at the front when steering.

its so bad that when the suspension at the front is fully compressed there is basically no steering as there is no clearance and would require a major butcher job to cut the shell away to make room...

I've now looked at my old wheels and they seem to have a full offset hub ie the mount almost flush with the inner edge rather than in the centre ( I've looked and struggled to find any available?).

I've bought some 7mm hexes to replace my 5mm ones but I need more than 2mm extra per side I'm sure. Can I get hub extension's or is there another solution before I sell them on as I really like them and It looks like proline don't do the wheel offset I need and I'm struggling to find any at all....

I've bought some 25mm hex extensions which should put the wheels just a fraction further out than the original hubs. Worst that can happen is bent axle or warn bearings so got nothing to lose trying them really

Sorted it and new wheels are on. Originally I bought some ebay adaptors but the tube nuts didn't reach far enough so I sent them back and ordered the RC4WD 15mm wheel widener kit. These were so easy to fit with no mods needed and well made even if a bit expensive but you pay for quality I suppose. Wheels have loads of clearance now because 15mm to the wheels making them very slightly wider than the stock offset wheels on my Helion giving me about an extra 10mm width but most importantly my proline masher now fit properly and I can steer.
IMG_20180818_112559.jpg
IMG_20180818_113045.jpg
IMG_20180818_112636.jpg

Still looking good. Looks much wider too.

Still looking good. Looks much wider too.

It's awesome now really stable and agile for a truck (a little lairy with 2 wheel drive still though) it's only about 15mm wider but I've lowered the shell, increased the viscosity of the shock oil and fitted heavier springs in the rear.

I Cracked the shell at the weekend unfortunatly. It was bound to happen with me driving at some point as I suck. I've taped it on the inside with mammoth tape but it's now a countdown to having/wanting to paint another shell. can't decide wither to get myself a jconcepts 80s/90s monster truck shell or stay with the classic 70s truck look again.

Little video of yesterday's outing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eT65KgD9dmVS9fdr7

Back