Exo Insert 3d tire inserts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majin

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
while i was at btc i met exocaged rc from florida and we talked about his 3d printed inserts. he gave me a set for the front tires to try out. really awesome of him.
i switched the front tires on the ecto over. he currently does not have a set designed with lead wheel weights in mind so i had to remove the wheel weights. lost 5 oz in low front weight sadness ensues. but we're trying something new and i can always reapply them if it turns out i dont prefer the performance,
i DO LIKE THE FEEL THEY HAVE IMMEDIATELY. IT REALLY FEELS LIKE THIS IS GOING TO HELP WITH MY FRONT TIRES GRIPping (oops didnt mean to yell) rather than slipping on the rocks.
i am missing a shock tower, so cannot test it out, but i did run it in the creek and it seemed to climb better, BUT there were a lot of rock layers to get a bite on and my son ran my pro lines and they did just as well, i look forward to seeing how it does on the rocks at home, which i need to get back to gathering oof havent been there in a week gotta go

20240507_222450.jpg

20240507_222531.jpg

20240507_222518.jpg

Clever 🧐

If the work maybe see about a way once you find ur sweet spot, is to maybe mount in the inner lip my have to notch some 🤔

When running my real rock crawler we used either lead beads or even water in the tires for crawling and I only 8-10 psi just for reference

Wheel weights... I don't feel you even need them in RC. I did some testing with a 1/16 scale crawler once. I added bb's to the front tires. I tested, then added more bb's, then retested. At one point, the added weight in the tires actually made the truck less capable. And that was the only weight I added. I removed the bb's and added weight up front and down low with lead weights. Doing that far surpassed what the truck could do with the weight in the tires.

There are plenty of ways to add weight down low without adding rotational weight. Metal diff covers and metal axles help. Also, getting everything in the chassis mounted as low as you can, and lightening up the chassis as much as you can will help a lot.

There was a guy that shared some results with a truck he added every weight adding thing he could to his wheels and axles. His truck actually performed better after removing the wheel weights and some of the other brass he had installed. That's because once you add so much weight, and your truck gets on an incline, the added weight can be too much for the traction your tires have. You have to find that balance.

And getting your shocks at full droop will have a huge impact on steeper crawls. Lighten those springs up. You don't really need them doing much, other that making your truck look cool. If the shocks are keeping your body lifted, it only raises your COG and tips you over easier.

I just picked up a set of Injora Silicone inserts for my Ecto, still waiting for new tires to come so I can try them out.
i was looking ayt those as well yeah i kinda think they would hold up better in the long run

Wheel weights... I don't feel you even need them in RC. I did some testing with a 1/16 scale crawler once. I added bb's to the front tires. I tested, then added more bb's, then retested. At one point, the added weight in the tires actually made the truck less capable. And that was the only weight I added. I removed the bb's and added weight up front and down low with lead weights. Doing that far surpassed what the truck could do with the weight in the tires.

There are plenty of ways to add weight down low without adding rotational weight. Metal diff covers and metal axles help. Also, getting everything in the chassis mounted as low as you can, and lightening up the chassis as much as you can will help a lot.

There was a guy that shared some results with a truck he added every weight adding thing he could to his wheels and axles. His truck actually performed better after removing the wheel weights and some of the other brass he had installed. That's because once you add so much weight, and your truck gets on an incline, the added weight can be too much for the traction your tires have. You have to find that balance.

And getting your shocks at full droop will have a huge impact on steeper crawls. Lighten those springs up. You don't really need them doing much, other that making your truck look cool. If the shocks are keeping your body lifted, it only raises your COG and tips you over easier.
i see your point, but i still havent been able to bring myself to get brass for it, just expensive lol, the wheel weights were just an easy simple addition to help the front stay on the rocks as i hit the steeper angles. i guess ima just have to bite the brass and order some knuckles and pumpkin. after shock towers the is.
i honestly have ignored the shocks sadly. i did the full droop set up and walked away. they dont seem to do much lol user error I'm 100000% positive. but i like how she hugs the ground on rocks.

Back