Exhaust discussion and free performance mods/ upgrades.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow jato

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so today I was looking at some nitro rc cars and I came across a nitro jato with the exhaust on backwards insted of going towards the front of the vehicle it was coming out the back with the exhaust tip sitting on the wheelie bar.

Is there any benefit to that?
Would it even improve performance of the stock exhaust? (The exhaust looked like the stock one)
So let's discuss

Any one have any cool or good mods thay know about and or use. Even the small one mods that you think everyone knows about.

Here's a free mod for the jato bashers out there that dosent want the battery box on the back.
Cut the stock mount holes off at the bottom of the V on the stock wheelie bar then drill 4 holes in it and the stock bumper them bolt it up that's what I did and I put it thrue the test today alone I jumped it up 5 feet in the air and it rolled back and it landed directly on it and its still solid. I would post picks but idk how to post pics from my phone if anyone can tell me how I will post pics.

From my experience most rear exit exhaust are sorta restrictive. But that's just my opinion. I do however like the Trinity rear exit for the revo.

I know there's a benifit to your exhaust bearing more restrictive I just can't remember what it was.

Also if you have access to sticky wheel waights. Thay make perfect balancer waights when ur trying to balance your waight for jumping and helping keep the front end on the ground and thay stay stick un less u pry them off.

Also if you need tools don't buy the expincive tools from the hobby store. Go to a harbor fright or tractor suply or some others offbrand no name tools thay are just as good for what u are working on. I know because I'm a ase auto mechanic I have snap-on tools at work and craftsmen and those no brand tools at home because unless ur doing somthing day in day out. That's just from my personal expirence.

If memory serves, and it usually doesn't these days; there's no benefit to restriction per say. There is however benefit to properly designed back pressure in the system. It has to do with how the exhaust pulses affect scavenging hot spent gasses out, and bringing new cool fuel and air charges into the motor.

Yea that's what I was trying to remaber. It's been a long day I'm running on 3 hours of sleep lol.

Every engine requires some form of back pressure to operate properly. Just from experience the rear exit pipe do not perform all that well. Especially the dual rear exit pipes. I have had or tried about all of them. Although they look kick AZZ!:D

Also if you need tools don't buy the expincive tools from the hobby store. Go to a harbor fright or tractor suply or some others offbrand no name tools thay are just as good for what u are working on. I know because I'm a ase auto mechanic I have snap-on tools at work and craftsmen and those no brand tools at home because unless ur doing somthing day in day out. That's just from my personal expirence.

Not when it comes to RC, the low end hex drivers are too soft and will lead to stripped screws. It's best to spend a little more on a quality set of drivers, as well as upgraded screws.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

@fast eddy has some really good stainless steel screw kits on his site. He's also a long time member and business supporter of this site. He's really good to do business with.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's y I put craftsmen in there although instead if useing nut drivers I use sockets and extensions 1/4 drive ofcource and the ratchet lol.
Also a goo thing too look for when buying a tool don't buy the shiny ones all it is is a cheap Crome plating buy the dull Colored ones because thay don't have the cheap coating on it and that's what makes them soft

If you do buy the cheap crcrooms plated tools you can heat treat them yourself useing a torch and old motor oil its an old Indian trick

---------- Post added at 4:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:53 AM ----------

If you do buy the cheap crome plated tools you can heat treat them yourself useing a torch and old motor oil its an old Indian trick

duel pipe

i got a duel pipe to work. on a Jato in the tube from the exhaust pipe put a check valve next to the pipe, holding pressure to the tank. and put a tee fitting next to the fuel tank, run the pressure throu two sides. plug the third side with JB-weld. then drill a hole in the JB-weld with a .020-.030 bit. this system traps pressure but cause the pressure to be smooth, not pulsing.

Back