Ericke1's Speed Demon

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
A few weeks ago Ericke1 was looking for someone to convert his E-REVO to brushless. I volunteered to do the job and after talking with him about what his goals were I agreed to take on the project. He already had a Novak HV-MAXX Pro 4.5 system so we decided that with a few add-ons I could make it work. Ultimately Erick wanted his E-REVO to be a speed demon, as he mostly runs on-road. I consulted robmob for steering and suspension set-up advice as he is an e-revo expert. Thank you very much Rob for all your help and invaluable knowledge.

Parts used:

Novak HV-Maxx Pro 4.5 5000KV system (with Novak 4S smart stop LVC)
Castle Creations 10 AMP BEC
Airtronics MX-3S tx/rx
Traxxas Center Diff
RC-Monster 4mm motor spacer
Tekno Sway Bar Kit
Hitec 7955TG steering servo
HPI Phaltline tires with Blast wheels
Proline steering arm
Traxxas Heavy Duty servo saver spring
Traxxas pink and purple springs
45 and 50 wt shock oil
Traxxas single motor mounting plate/gear cover
Novak 12T mod .8 pinion
TT 5000mah 25C 2S lipos

Here's a starting pic of the rig. I actually had no idea that Erick was going to send me a brand new rig to work with!

621608031_7eP2U-XL.jpg

Installed center diff and single motor plate.

621611262_rAR7e-XL.jpg

Did a test fitting of the new motor. Needs a 3-4mm spacer for the mesh to be correct.

621619658_6rtEd-XL.jpg

The motor spacer came but the inner diameter was too small. I need to enlarge the ID an additional 3.5mm to clear the pinion.

621617599_kWR8j-XL.jpg

Mesh is perfect now.

621610806_Ch8St-XL.jpg

Here is what I have to work with for wiring.

621615971_rHMm7-XL.jpg

The Novak ESC does not have a built in LVC, rather they include their external Smart Stop LVC which needs to be soldered and connected to the ESC power leads and receiver. The Castle BEC also needs to be soldered and connected in the same fashion. My goal is to make the connections look clean. To clear some room on the chassis, I made the switch to a single servo setup. Rob advised to run the Proline steering arm and heavy duty servo saver spring. You can see the new spring is much thicker.

621611812_UZbtN-XL.jpg

621615625_Dc5y7-XL.jpg

New shock oil and springs came next (front 45/pink, rear 50/ purple) along with the Tekno sway bars. I think they look pretty killer.

621618628_yCDKU-XL.jpg

621620892_VGj6t-XL.jpg

621622593_p8cSU-XL.jpg

More pics later.

With the single steering servo set-up the car looked unbalanced with the missing servo. I still had the challenge of fitting all the electronics and making it look clean so I decided to install the BEC in one of my servos that had died. The servo case was dremeled out to make room. When the BEC is used in conjuction with the Novak ESC, the ESC's power switch is no longer used. Power will come on as soon as you connect the batteries even though the power switch is off. I installed a switch between the BEC and the ESC to make the rig easier to turn off/on. Here is my first attempt. The goal is to clean up the front end and hide the BEC but still have provisions for airflow to cool it.

621622083_7C8Xg-XL.jpg
621609651_7CNoW-XL.jpg
621614403_7nDG7-XL.jpg
621618152_DYwgg-XL.jpg
621619112_NCpPo-XL.jpg

After mounting the faux servo I did not like it. The power switch was too big and looked out of place. The cooling inlet was blocked by the chassis wall. Here is attempt number two.

621620286_mXRm7-XL.jpg
621621492_yL6VF-XL.jpg

621796235_f7ZyU-XL-0.jpg

I like this one much better. The power switch is semi hidden and does not stand out as much. The cooling duct is larger and allows airflow to cool the BEC.

LVC will be installed tonight.

Last edited:
That's pretty slick using a servo as an enclosure for something else. Although, doesn't make for a very good winter rig with that screen in the face of the servo. Maybe take another servo case and do the same for winter needs. Don't have to worry about air flow when it's 30F outside. ;)

Looks great though! I always enjoy one-off build threads.

Thanks a lot guys. This is the first time I have wrenched on an e-revo and the project is taking a lot longer than anticipated. Especially since the Novak ESC requires the supplemental electronics to make it run reliably.

That's pretty slick using a servo as an enclosure for something else. Although, doesn't make for a very good winter rig with that screen in the face of the servo. Maybe take another servo case and do the same for winter needs. Don't have to worry about air flow when it's 30F outside. ;)

I'll see if Erick wants to spring for another BEC to run in the winter. It would be a pain in the rear to take this one apart to stick the BEC into another case. Though personally, I would not run this rig anywhere near water. The Hitec servo is not waterproof and neither is the ESC.

Wowowwwwww

awesome

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttt

Never going to run this in water, but if we need another BEC will get it

Very nice Dom...I dig it. Another great creation from the sparkie guy. Yeah ok FINE I'm still jealous that electric is faster than nitro....lol
Erick..we need some video brother when you get it in your hands

Erick..we need some video brother when you get it in your hands[/QUOTE said:
FOR SURE, DIESEL is going to test drive it too, he may have a youtube moment for all of us.

Wow! What clean set-up! I love the servo and BEC setup.

Very nice job Dom.

yep, thats sweet! way to use the noggin Dom lol...and congrats on the rig transfermation Ericke1.

I really like the idea of installing a dummy servo for balance.

Thank you. Robmob also wanted to thank you for your help with the ride suggestions and when I had emailed you with the battery questions while in HK, Diesel is using those in our new rig, if it wasn't for you we wouldnt be here today building a rig that will smoke u :)

Your welc.....wait....OH NO YOU DIDN'T!.

a rig that will smoke u

Bwah Ha Ha Ha Ha.....you killing me.....Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Wow, great looking rig so far. I've seen many revos and they all look unbalanced with the missing servo. Great idea using a dummy one for the BEC.

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the comments.

Thank you. Robmob also wanted to thank you for your help with the ride suggestions and when I had emailed you with the battery questions while in HK, Diesel is using those in our new rig, if it wasn't for you we wouldnt be here today building a rig that will smoke u :)

Your welc.....wait....OH NO YOU DIDN'T!.
Bwah Ha Ha Ha Ha.....you killing me.....Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Hey now before we start 'net racing let me finish the rig and actually have it up and running. I want no more mention of the word "smoke" in the build thread as it may jinx the ESC. :hehe::D

Made more progress tonight. Sorry for the blurry pics, it was getting late.

Installed the LVC on the battery spacer.

623129226_BKAQs-XL.jpg

There were way too many wires running all over the chassis. I ran all wires into the battery compartment and up through a hole cut inside the rx box.

623125795_nJN6c-XL.jpg
623126108_5rGQu-XL.jpg
623126385_PJnWU-XL.jpg

The LVC has an LED that lights up when the LVC has reached the voltage cutoff threshold. I made a small bracket for the wire to sit on between the rear shocks and mounted the LED in the bumper so that it is easy to see when driving.

623126691_xtPyJ-XL.jpg
623125447_Rq65L-XL.jpg

Almost done, just have to solder the motor wires and give it a bench test. I'll try to get some video too.

Back