equipment

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideOpen

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
So last year I was digging through the attic and found this pretty heavy duty (for its size) some kind of charging or maybe not charging but some kind of timer thing with alligator clips. It was near my sons RC stuff. I sent him a picture of it and he said it went to his old RC charging station. He kinda explained it to me, stopped and said "ehhhh toss it". So, as I hate to just "toss" stuff, because someone might need it - I put it on Craigslist for, I don't remember how much; but, I do recall I sold it the same day. Still not sure what it was. However, this evening I dug these out - talk to me, what exactly do I have here, how do I use them, are they worth using?

Attachments

• RC Charging.jpg
    RC Charging.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 52
So last year I was digging through the attic and found this pretty heavy duty (for its size) some kind of charging or maybe not charging but some kind of timer thing with alligator clips. It was near my sons RC stuff. I sent him a picture of it and he said it went to his old RC charging station. He kinda explained it to me, stopped and said "ehhhh toss it". So, as I hate to just "toss" stuff, because someone might need it - I put it on Craigslist for, I don't remember how much; but, I do recall I sold it the same day. Still not sure what it was. However, this evening I dug these out - talk to me, what exactly do I have here, how do I use them, are they worth using?
And old charger and discharger. You won't need them.

something better in todays world or they just not a thing?

something better in todays world or they just not a thing?
Both. The charger is from early 2000 I think. And the discharger is not needed. Modern chargers have a discharge cycle. Storage mode on your charger will drain the pack down to 3.8v (normally), or raise it, depending on the state of charge. The discharger just turns the energy into heat. Kind of a waste. Some chargers will now discharge the energy back into a storage pack, or a car battery if out in the field. Some will even charge a phone off a Lipo, so simply discharging a pack to drain it is pretty wasteful these days, with all the fancy gizmos we use.

keep them both they are of use even today the discharger can be adjusted for todays 2 cell lipo voltage.. there is a pot on the backside of main board to adjust to 7.8 bolts. i went a tad further to 7.6 volts then there is some bounce back to around 7.76 volts..theres a couple vids on how to do this on youtube 1 is way wrong by saying you can drill a hole in the front and stick a screwdriver in to adjust..indi reactor

Both the charger and the discharger are only designed to work with NiXX cells. One could argue that the discharger could be used with a lipo since it wouldnt know the difference but it says on the box that its only good on packs up to 3600mAh. 🤷‍♂️

Id ditch them and buy modern versions if it was something you wanted/needed

Back