Engine turns on but no more throttle response **Strike #2** (Gearbox problems)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeromotive

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all.

Thanks to everyone's help I was able to change my throttle servo lately (Kyosho DBX 2.0). Today I bought a new airfilter.
I took the car for a spin and a bit of fine tuning. After 15 minutes, I got every needle in its right position, so I put the body/cover on.

Right after that, I start hearing a weird metal-rubbing noise when I let off the throttle and the car is struggling to move. After around 4 or 5 throttle pinches, throttle is still there, car is revving up, servo is moving, but the car isn't moving! I guessed right away it was a transmission problem :angry:

I turn the engine off, then turn it back on to look closer. That's when I realize that my "clutch bell" is barely touching the "main gear" anymore, so power isn't transmitted to the wheels...

n13tdg.png

Upon closer inspection, I realize my "main gear" is partially worn off (the teeth are stripped).

So I'm totally confused... why? when? how? what? :(

Finding the right part is easy, but why did this happen? I can't understand why this happened right after I put the body on the car. Is it an easy fix?

Thanks for the help!

It happened because the mesh between the clutch bell and the spur was not correct to start with or the engine or center diff moved while you were running it.
Install a new spur, set the mesh and use lock-tite on the engine mount screws and center diff mounts if aluminum to help prevent the engine or CD from loosening up when you drive it.
Stripping the spur after you put the body on was probably just a coincidence.

Thanks. I have a few quick questions :

1) What do you mean by "mesh"?
2) Should I just get the stock spur again, or are there any better quality ones (eg. better materials)?
3) From the exploded view above I see it's a complicated process to get the spur out and change it... do you have any tips on how to do this? Things to avoid? Things to watch for?

Thanks again!
Aero.

he means how close the clutch bell and spur gear are to each other if you search youtube u will find some videos on how to do it properly

Back