Engine tuning question - plenty of smoke but sputters at high

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundmatt1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I picked up a used 8ight for my first nitro car and I'm learning the tricks of tuning the engine. I'm getting some of them down - I know how to at least tune the low and idle enough to get it started and keep it running.

When I punch the throttle it'll fly on an open parking lot for 1-3 seconds but then it sputters and seems to idle despite my trigger being all the way down. Then it will come back to life for another second or two. 1 out of 4 times it'll stall out completely.

I was told that the stuttering is a symptom of being too lean and that I need to make the high needle richer. But I don't understand why I'd be seeing plenty of smoke if it's rich.

Need to get a temp guage. It is really helpful tuning these little engines.

I've got a temp gauge and I got some experience using it for tuning when we leaned out my brother's car.

But with this car and engine, I can't even really run it at full speed long enough to where taking a temp will mean anything...

I'm being told it's probably a lean bog but if so, I don't understand why there's already plenty of smoke!

Had the same thing happen to me mid run. After I decided to cash the round we found that my pressure line had come off at the pipe. Check your fuel lines over real good.

Sorry, just took for granted being new you wouldn't have a temp guage.
My bad.

If there is plenty of smoke, it is probably a rich bog... Well, it doesn't bog like when its lean, it sputters, as you said...

It's hard to explain but you can almost hear(or I can atleast), if it's starving for air or fuel.

OK, I'm getting confused between a bog and a sputter! It sounds like understanding the difference is critical because I'm either too lean or too rich and I need to know which.

In my case it would accelerate up to top speed but as soon as it got there it would usually stay running but basically coast for a few seconds then it would kick back in. Bog? Sputter?

Got it figured out!

I returned my settings to factory and then got it all worked out. I'm almost fully tuned at this point. Thanks for the input.

Back