Engine ping? after wot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalded-dog

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Nitro noob here.
After running a wot pass with a warmed up engine it makes a funny sound. It sounds like a normal engine then it goes ding ding ding and back to normal. The ding sounds start after letting off throttle and last for 1-2 seconds. Details below:

Savage 4.6 truck and engine. Ambient air about 65F. 20% nitro fuel. Medium glow plug. Tune is ok as far as my noobness knows. Hsn is ok i think.. does not cut out.. has blue smoke..engine temp on the glow plug is 220F .. but one part of the cooling head reads 290F (is that normal?). Lsn is a little rich as far as i know.. pinch test take 6 secs or so to kill engine. Idle gap is 1mm ish.

I am trying to learn the nuances of nitro tuning. Is the ding ding ding what they call pinging, is it a bit of 4 cycling, or is this normal?

Any suggestions on this truck would be great. Any links to learn the finer points of tuning would be great too.

Thanks all.

Nitro noob here.
After running a wot pass with a warmed up engine it makes a funny sound. It sounds like a normal engine then it goes ding ding ding and back to normal. The ding sounds start after letting off throttle and last for 1-2 seconds. Details below:

Savage 4.6 truck and engine. Ambient air about 65F. 20% nitro fuel. Medium glow plug. Tune is ok as far as my noobness knows. Hsn is ok i think.. does not cut out.. has blue smoke..engine temp on the glow plug is 220F .. but one part of the cooling head reads 290F (is that normal?). Lsn is a little rich as far as i know.. pinch test take 6 secs or so to kill engine. Idle gap is 1mm ish.

I am trying to learn the nuances of nitro tuning. Is the ding ding ding what they call pinging, is it a bit of 4 cycling, or is this normal?

Any suggestions on this truck would be great. Any links to learn the finer points of tuning would be great too.

Thanks all.

This was on a thread not too long ago with a similar issue ,I found it very helpful in explaining the issues
an sounds of an engine that needs tuned!

Spot on man! Thats exactly what i needed for help. Def need to richen my hsn a little and lean out my lsn a bit.

Ia there a best place to aim a temp gun on the engine? Straight down on the glow plug vs lower to the side of the crank case etc?. Just check a couple spots and go with the highest reading (excluding exhaust manifold and pipe)?

I find that down the in the glowplug area usually gives me the highest temp reading and I use that as my hot spot for tuning.

Idealy, the best temp reading is in the glow plug hole but beside the plug on the head itself.
I would tend to agree with above. It sound like you're running a bit too hot. Tuning it a bit more will likely fix you right up. By what you're saying, it sounds like the time you have now is very close. It sounds like a little turn here and there so I wouldn't go to a full reset it anything. Good luck!!!:thumbs-up:

Thanks for the tips so far. You guys are great! My hsn has to be too lean and i bet my lsn is on the rich side. A little tweaking should get me there. I will try it in the next few days as time allows and report back.

Also, verify you are running the right plug for your conditions.
Check this link. Its full of info that will help you with tuning and the plug choice.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

This may also have some info you'll find helpful

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/rc-nitro-engine-performance-tuning.102688/

This is a new post and something I Def recommend you check out. There is info on here that every nitro owner should know!

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/glow-plugs-dos-donts-tech-and-tips.113922/#post-1111694

This was on a thread not too long ago with a similar issue ,I found it very helpful in explaining the issues
an sounds of an engine that needs tuned!

I posted that! :) There is no better video IMO. Straight to the point and shows you everything.

My hsn has to be too lean and i bet my lsn is on the rich side.
That's the most common mistake I made when I was learning. You should see a major difference once you get it right. Especially from a dead stop acceleration.

The best tip I've seen; At idle the vehicle should sit still and the temps should lower 1 degree every 1 second and there should be no delay when you accelerate.

Last edited:
I posted that! :) There is no better video IMO. Straight to the point and shows you everything.

That's the most common mistake I made when I was learning. You should see a major difference once you get it right. Especially from a dead stop acceleration.

The best tip I've seen; At idle the vehicle should sit still and the temps should lower 1 degree every 1 second and there should be no delay when you accelerate.

I was going to go back an see who ,an give thanks!...:cool:

It is very useful because it shows actual tuning ,it is very hard to explain how to tune to folks with out actually having
physical contact!

Thank for posting that vid ,it is very useful!....:thumbs-up::thumbs-up:

Thanks guys, you have been great with help. I'm sure it gets old answering the same stuff over and over.
I am now educated and motivated to get a better tune on my cars. Unfortunately, since the first post in 70 degree weather, it is now in the 30's with snow on the ground. Grrr. Patiently waiting for warmer weather. ... ok i lied no patience at all. its killin me.

That's an overwhelming resoonse! I don't mind at all helping people out here. Even if it's the same questions... It was nice to have help when I needed it too. Good karma anyways! I have bookmarked that vid for future help. I agree with @cbaker65 ... It's very difficult to explain tuning etc. A video Def is helpful.

Richened the hsn no more ping. Leaned the lsn much improved the acceleration. Running 230ish temps. All looks ok now. Thanks again.

Back