Electric vs Nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartleyd21

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Which is better?
WHY?

What is your best electric and nitro RC?

Last edited:
That will all be up to the USER . I love electric.reason I know what I'm doing with any form of electricity from ac/dc..If i desire to run my rc for a hour I just bring enough batteries with me all recharged and ready to drop in when lvc cuts in.. sure I will have a slight delay when waiting for my gear to cool down. but thats food time..lol

Nitro...as u can see by my profile...
- louder
- more complex
- more fun
- more gnarly

Neither really is better. Electric is quieter, cleaner and can be easier to figure out though. Both are fun.

For me honestly I'd say electric for comp because instant torque. And nitro for fun mechanic project

Obviously it's nitro :D

I mean, c'mon, electric doesn't give you awesome smoke trails:

20200730_165515.jpg

Really though, it comes down to personal preference. I now only own nitro vehicles, I cannot "stump" for electric anymore, but I can tell you what I like about nitro and why more people should try it.

1. The sounds and smells of a combustion engine. There's nothing like it.
2. It's no worse for the environment then electric. Electricity still needs to be generated, usually by fossil fuels or damming up rivers. Also, lithium mines aren't exactly "clean" or good for the environment. And in some cases using what is nearly slave labor. The amount of emissions produced by running a nitro all day long is about as much as driving your car to the end of the street.
3. You can run all day without recharging.
4. For course racing, it's the closest to the real thing with long mains and pit stops.
5. It's nowhere near as hard to grasp as people think, tuning is not only easy, it's fun.
6. The other myth is that you can't just "go". Uh, my trucks and cars start right up and I let em rip the minute I get there.
7. The lack of instant torque isn't really a bad thing, especially on loose surfaces like dirt.
8. You can do a lot more adjustments and tinkering to the drivetrain, such as clutches(to make up for the lack of instant torque), tuning, engine modding.
9. Learning throttle control is really cool.
10. Big block power can compete with brushless, I don't care what anyone says. I've seen modded SMALL blocks run legitimate 1.5-1.6 second 132ft drag runs, your typical 2s/3s drag cars are running mid 2's. Too many people try to compare Traxxas engines to brushless versions of their cars. Those are weak engines compared to Novarossi, SH/Dynamite, OS and others. A 4+ hp LRP .32 is a beast. You can do the math on what a 2s/3s brushless has, it ain't close to that.

It depends on where you drive it. I'm in a city, so nitro is not allowed. I'm a dirtbike guy, who rides a Honda CR500, so you know I love the sound of a 2-stroke. However, I don't like the hassle of nitro. I have a couple, but I hardly ever run them. Like TNT said, I just grab a few packs and go. Not to mention, the speed from an electric is unmatched by nitro and if you flip an electric, you just flip it back on it's wheels and pull the trigger. You don't have to restart it.

However, that's my preference and why.