electric brushless motor/esc question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mtx1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so i was looking at a rtr rc10b4.2 and it comes with the AE SL500-bl esc with a reedy 540 3300-r kv motor. I want to step up and go with the AE SL-700-bl and a reedy 540 4900kv motor. Now will this work as far as fitting and not going past what the esc calls for? I did look at the specs i think the 4900 is with in range as i will be running 2s lipo. I just am not sure if i should be going with 540 can motor with a 1/10th buggy? i just base this on the rtr has a 540 motor and i just went with a esc that can handle the 4900 and i picked the 540 motor. Now from what i can tell the 550 is for 4x4 AE trucks or maybe 1/8th scale rc's? Any issues with what i want to run ? thank you

It should be fine to run a 540-sized motor on it. I'm thinking that the lower kV motor that's in it would be a good place to start as the higher kV motors tend to cog since they don't have the torque of the lower kV versions.

It should be fine to run a 540-sized motor on it. I'm thinking that the lower kV motor that's in it would be a good place to start as the higher kV motors tend to cog since they don't have the torque of the lower kV versions.

see the newer rtr is the sl500 with a 540 3300 and i am sure its fast enough but ya know i want more . I do not want over kill so what ya think like 4000kv or maybe even a tad less like 3900kv something like that just scale back the idea of my first idea? I am not going in to this to race i just want to pick out a simple plug and play setup that will work with my batteries . I know the reedy series motors seam to be wayyyy over priced just based on a few reviews .

---------- Post added at 6:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:31 PM ----------

let me add this is for a rc10b4.1 roller that will need electronics to get going. So i am just limited to needing a ESC that is set up for Dean lipo batteries. My budget is what ever it takes but not like 3-400 range but i am open to putting something maybe not as fast but just something that will still be going strong in a year .

Castle Creations says that the Sidewinder 3 will handle the B4 with no problems on up to a 7700kV motor. Here is the link to their app guide:

http://castlecreations.com/support/documents/10th-Scale-Gearing-Chart-095-0130-01L.pdf

Personally I'd say go with a 5700 kV and the 2s LiPo.

I agree. I wouldn't go any higher than 5700. The B4 is a great buggy....but it is a handful to drive.....with practice though it will make you a better driver. You tend to drive the 2wd buggies with the throttle more than anything. They are so light that it doesn't take a gigantic motor to get it going. Personally I love the 2wd drive buggy class the best....but man they are a handful to drive!

would the reedy 4900 with the sl700 all kinda what AE offers threw out there set ups i just am looking to put the sc10rtr esc and a upgrade to there rtr series motor .To me i feel like i am just boosting up the stock electronics from a 3300 to that 4900. So based on you guys saying 5700 is ok so is it not over kill to go with the 4900 motor? i had 3500 of 2s pack and it was ok i do not want to go down i rather go up in speed. I understand a buggy is more of a racer based on how low they sit and to have all that power/speed might be a pain.

Last edited:
The buggy should handle the hotter motor with the proper gearing. My personal opinion is that the 4900 would be to much motor and would make the buggy near impossible to drive at speed. Not to say you can't or shouldn't... I just personally would not go that high. I had a Novak Havok 8.5T Brushless in my AE T4.2 and it was way to much motor. I couldn't get the power to the track... so I put a 10.5T in it... much better. The way I look at it... Horsepower is great... but if you can't put it to the track... you are just spinning your wheels literally! :) Just my opinion though.

That was my thoughts on the matter as well. That's why I recommended the 5700 kV. 2wd buggies are fun and getting the power to the ground is the real trick. I think that the 5700 kV gets the job done with the right amount of torque and speed.

i understand now, all that power/speed means nothing if i am just burning up my tires . I rather not have to deal with over heating my motor or going threw gears cause i have a 4900kv motor in a little 2wd buggy. I got a deal going for a 4.2 team kit with the slipper up grade and some other cool things. I am getting some good tires to get going so i will listen to you guys. I am going to do a 3800kv set up and to be honest there is a few combos out there that are dean connecter and in the 80-120 range..