ECX Torment 2WD video, and yet another failure.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I bought an ECX Torment 2WD, that i have had nothing but issues with. So far, in chasing and trying to fix the issues, i have swapped the transmission with an all metal Axial AX10 transmission, since i kept burning up different spurs on the stock transmission. So far, i have chewed up 7 spurs, broke a front steering block, destroyed both rear driveshafts (which happened in the posted video), and i have only ran 4 packs through it. Since I'm not one to give up easily though, i ordered metal driveshafts, and i will see how long they last.

My first RC some 6-7 years ago! Yeah, as soon as i upgraded to brushless everything started falling apart. It ended up with stock chassis, tranny and rear arms, everything else was Traxxas, ECX or RPM upgrade. Finally sold it, cr*ppy aftermarket and spare part support. Interestingly, I think I never had issues with the 48P spur in all the 4-5 years of bashing it! Set your slipper and mesh right!

My first RC some 6-7 years ago! Yeah, as soon as i upgraded to brushless everything started falling apart. It ended up with stock chassis, tranny and rear arms, everything else was Traxxas, ECX or RPM upgrade. Finally sold it, cr*ppy aftermarket and spare part support. Interestingly, I think I never had issues with the 48P spur in all the 4-5 years of bashing it! Set your slipper and mesh right!
I have been in the RC game 30+ years, going way back to before some of the companies today were even in business, and this is the first vehicle i have had that has had this many issues in such a short time. This is also the first vehicle i have had, that has had that many issues with the spur. I have a V1 Arrma Fury that has had the same spur going on 4 years with no issues, so i dont know what the deal is with the Torment I was 7 when Tamiya released the Sand Scorcher, and i can still remember seeing the first ads for Traxxas when i was around 14 or 15 in a couple car magazines. My first 3 cars were the Associated RC12E, the Tamiya Rough Rider (FYI, i hated that car), and a pair of early Tamiya Frog's i bought used. I was in Pomona for other reasons the weekend Gil Losi won his first IFMAR race. At the time, i didnt know what the big deal was, i just know it was on the local news a few times the next couple days. I was born in southern California, so i got to see first hand how much RC exploded out west in the early and mid eighties. At the time though, i was more into full size Baja stuff, and desert racing, so i only dabbled then. It wasn't until i moved to the east coast that i got more into it. and. although i do like my RC stuff, i still would much rather have a sand rail or Myers Manx buggy. There is just no place here to run them. Trivia question: How many remember the Clint Eastwood movie The Dead Pool?

Damn, that's quite a history! :)
I'm guessing you know how to set a spur and slipper properly then :D

Damn, that's quite a history! :)
I'm guessing you know how to set a spur and slipper properly then :D
You just take a strip of notebook paper and mash it between the gears and tighten the motor.

Back