Ecx torment motor upgrades

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Got some questions reguarding the ecx torment. My younger brothers got them as christmas gifts a few years back. They ran them in water and burnt the motors up and have been sitting since. Now that i got back into rc's they want to get them going again.. what brushless motors on the cheap do you guys recomend? Do i need to change the esc to run brushless? Also are their any upgrades needed to the truck to make it handle the brushless power? Thanks

Got some questions reguarding the ecx torment. My younger brothers got them as christmas gifts a few years back. They ran them in water and burnt the motors up and have been sitting since. Now that i got back into rc's they want to get them going again.. what brushless motors on the cheap do you guys recomend? Do i need to change the esc to run brushless? Also are their any upgrades needed to the truck to make it handle the brushless power? Thanks
Cheap is relative. You can go with a cheap eBay combo for around $60, such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403418092556?hash=item5ded97940c:g:ClIAAOSwTsRgbyKc&LH_BIN=1 The ESC in that combo usually doesn't last long though. I typically pick up 3650 motors, in either 4370KV, 3900KV, 3500KV, or 3300KV (i run the 3900 and 4370 in all my 2WD 1/10TH stuff), and pair it with a WP 10BL60: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265071556593?hash=item3db77ef7f1:g:cDgAAOSwZt1gPF5X&LH_BIN=1 (although, many will say the 10BL120 is a better ESC). As for using a brushless motor, you will have to also have a brushless ESC. You will probably also want to upgrade the diff to the ECX all metal one as well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1751688841...sh=item28c8e10dd7:g:QcUAAOSw0ZFiE1gh&LH_BIN=1.

Are you certain the motors are burned up? A servo is more likely to be destroyed by getting wet than a motor. And a bad servo can put the ESC into fail safe and not move the motor at all. Try disconnecting the servo first and see if the motors work.

Do you have the 2wd, or 4wd?

Pics always help.

Last edited:
Cheap is relative. You can go with a cheap eBay combo for around $60, such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403418092556?hash=item5ded97940c:g:ClIAAOSwTsRgbyKc&LH_BIN=1 The ESC in that combo usually doesn't last long though. I typically pick up 3650 motors, in either 4370KV, 3900KV, 3500KV, or 3300KV (i run the 3900 and 4370 in all my 2WD 1/10TH stuff), and pair it with a WP 10BL60: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265071556593?hash=item3db77ef7f1:g:cDgAAOSwZt1gPF5X&LH_BIN=1 (although, many will say the 10BL120 is a better ESC). As for using a brushless motor, you will have to also have a brushless ESC. You will probably also want to upgrade the diff to the ECX all metal one as well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175168884183?epid=2180924662&hash=item28c8e10dd7:g:QcUAAOSw0ZFiE1gh&LH_BIN=1.
^^ Couldn't have said it better! @Caleb90, Biggman knows his stuff (which is to say, these budget 1/10 scale on/off road cars)! Do you want to just save as much $$ as possible, or do you want a budget setup, that'll last? Go with the Ebay combo for the first case, and the 3650/60 and the HobbyWing WP 10BL60. Depending one how hard your brothers drive, what terrain they drive on, and how heavy the trucks are, 60a could be ok, if they are on the throttle a lot, in rougher terrain, then if you have the budget, the 120a will probably be better, run cooler, and put less strain on the electronics.

Oh, and tell your bros to not drive through water!

^^ Couldn't have said it better! @Caleb90, Biggman knows his stuff (which is to say, these budget 1/10 scale on/off road cars)! Do you want to just save as much $$ as possible, or do you want a budget setup, that'll last? Go with the Ebay combo for the first case, and the 3650/60 and the HobbyWing WP 10BL60. Depending one how hard your brothers drive, what terrain they drive on, and how heavy the trucks are, 60a could be ok, if they are on the throttle a lot, in rougher terrain, then if you have the budget, the 120a will probably be better, run cooler, and put less strain on the electronics.

Oh, and tell your bros to not drive through water!
I didnt even think to ask if they were 2WD or 4WD. I just assumed he was talking about the 2WD Torment, which is actually lighter than the Slash 2WD by a little bit. One thing about motor choices though. As i learned the hard way, the 10BL60 is a decent choice for a 2WD, as long as it is paired with a 3650 motor. If you are going to use a 3660, then it is better to run, at the very least, a 100A. I use the Arrma BLX100 (i get them from Jenny's RC) paired with a 3660 motor for my 4WD stuff. The 60A 10BL60 wont hold up to repeated use with a 3660 motor. As for running through water, if they are going to do that, even with a brushless motor, make sure they, at the very least, dry the motor and oil the bearings when they are done, or it will fail quicker.

They got these back in 2016ish? They woulda been 12 and 14 at the time. Kids arnt the best at taking care of their things

Something i didnt think about when i made my last post, since the 10BL60 has now hit the $40 mark, i have just been buying the Arrma BLX100 directly from Jenny's RC: https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-typhon-ara4303v3?_pos=1&_sid=d55b91da9&_ss=r
Since by the time you pay shipping and tax, the BLX100 comes out to around a $1 more than the 10BL60, and the 10BL60 is a 60A, and the BLX100 is a 100A, it makes more sense to buy the bigger ESC, even if you never pair it with a bigger 3660 size motor. However, if you buy the BLX100 in store, or from places like Horizon Hobby or A-Main, its almost double the price that Jenny's wants,

Something i didnt think about when i made my last post, since the 10BL60 has now hit the $40 mark, i have just been buying the Arrma BLX100 directly from Jenny's RC: https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-typhon-ara4303v3?_pos=1&_sid=d55b91da9&_ss=r
Since by the time you pay shipping and tax, the BLX100 comes out to around a $1 more than the 10BL60, and the 10BL60 is a 60A, and the BLX100 is a 100A, it makes more sense to buy the bigger ESC, even if you never pair it with a bigger 3660 size motor. However, if you buy the BLX100 in store, or from places like Horizon Hobby or A-Main, its almost double the price that Jenny's wants,
If sticking with a 3650 motor this esc works well in 2wd vehicles https://www.ebay.com/itm/133246859206?hash=item1f0621b7c6:g:c38AAOSwf~Nd1iXf
I run that in my Stampede 2wd. It's a rtr esc, usually found in HSP, Exceed and Redcat vehicles.

If sticking with a 3650 motor this esc works well in 2wd vehicles https://www.ebay.com/itm/133246859206?hash=item1f0621b7c6:g:c38AAOSwf~Nd1iXf
I run that in my Stampede 2wd. It's a rtr esc, usually found in HSP, Exceed and Redcat vehicles.
I had problems with all 3 of the 10BL50's i had, so after buying a Redcat Volcano that had the 10BL60, i started using them instead. They seem to work a bit better than the 50. Most of the HSP, Redcat and Exceed stuff has switched to the 60 as well. The three cars i bought that had the 10BL50 though, the motor was smaller than a 540, so, pairing the 50 with a 540 motor may have been the issue.

Prob going to buy a cheap ebay motor and the 100blx esc from jennys. I just wonder if the radio will be able to tune it
Another thing we will be doing for sure is putting more off road friendly tires and rims on them

Prob going to buy a cheap ebay motor and the 100blx esc from jennys. I just wonder if the radio will be able to tune it
Another thing we will be doing for sure is putting more off road friendly tires and rims on them
The ESC looks at the throttle position from the receiver through the signal wire. Radio brand does not matter.

The BLX100 is either set up by the set button on the ESC's power switch, or, you can use a Hobby Wing program card for some settings. As for the radio, the only thing you can set are throttle end points, which are really easy to do. Find the manual, and it will show how to do all the settings. If you scroll down to page 15 and 16 in this manual: https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...dw5ca68c0a/Manuals/ARA4312V3-manual-multi.pdf it shows how to set up the ESC.

I didnt even think to ask if they were 2WD or 4WD. I just assumed he was talking about the 2WD Torment, which is actually lighter than the Slash 2WD by a little bit. One thing about motor choices though. As i learned the hard way, the 10BL60 is a decent choice for a 2WD, as long as it is paired with a 3650 motor. If you are going to use a 3660, then it is better to run, at the very least, a 100A. I use the Arrma BLX100 (i get them from Jenny's RC) paired with a 3660 motor for my 4WD stuff. The 60A 10BL60 wont hold up to repeated use with a 3660 motor. As for running through water, if they are going to do that, even with a brushless motor, make sure they, at the very least, dry the motor and oil the bearings when they are done, or it will fail quicker.
Good point, 4wd trucks are heavier and need more power, and draw more current. I was thinking about brushed motors when I said the 3650/60, as on brushed motors, the difference between a 550 and a 560 motor is the can length is like ~1mm longer I think, or is it ~5mm longer? I can't remember if it's the first two numbers in a brushed motor's size that denotes the length, or if it's the last two numbers, and in BL motors the first couple of numbers denotes the motor diameter, and the last two (or three, if it's a LONG can motor) denotes the motor can length.

So is a 560 and a 3660 motor the same length, and a 550 and a 3650 the same?

A longer can means more torque, so yeah, you'll probably need a higher amp ESC. Is a 60a ESC slightly "under amped" (lack of a better term) for a 3650, and the 100a slightly more than enough for a 3660? I wouldn't have thought that a small increase in the can length would need 40a more, otherwise.

Edit: Dang, I got it wrong, I meant, 540 and 550, 560 are kinda rare...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ so what I said above is kinda nonsense now!

Hold on, you said "If you are going to use a 3660, then it is better to run, at the very least, a 100A", so in that case, how would a 60a ESC work for a 3650, wouldn't it be significantly limiting? I remember your fondness of the Arrma BLX100 ESC :)

Most BL motors aren't submergeable, according to Axial, brushed motors are, you can dunk them in water and they'll work fine, BUT, the brushes will wear out a lot faster, that's why before BL motors, racers would apparently perform "water break-ins" to brushed motors to get the max performance out of them in a time pinch. So use BL motors in water at your own risk!

It seems that his brothers aren't SUPER skilled in RC wrenching, so it'd be best for them to just steer clear (no pun intended!) of water, as they'll have to dry and oil pretty much all the bearings, dry off and WD-40 metal parts to prevent rust, care for the electrics, ect. and maybe they're not up to that task!
They got these back in 2016ish? They woulda been 12 and 14 at the time. Kids arnt the best at taking care of their things
Actually when I was younger I was decent at taking care of my rigs 🤣🤣 I'm more neat, and tend to take care of my things!

Last edited:
That motor, since its actually a 370 in a 560 can, works well with either the 10BL60 or the BLX100. Thats the motor i run in my Slash 2WD and my Torment 2WD. This is a video of my one Slash 2WD with that motor and a 10BL60:

The Slash is pretty quick with that set up. I do run it with a 2S Lipo, not a NIMH battery though.

So is a 560 and a 3660 motor the same length, and a 550 and a 3650 the same?
The 3650 is the BL version of a 540, and the 3660 is the BL version of a 550.
Hold on, you said "If you are going to use a 3660, then it is better to run, at the very least, a 100A", so in that case, how would a 60a ESC work for a 3650, wouldn't it be significantly limiting? I remember your fondness of the Arrma BLX100 ESC :)
Actually, the 3650, as long as it is between 3300 and 4400KV works very well with a 60A ESC. A 3660 in the same KV range draws more power, which is why the bigger ESC works better with it.
Most BL motors aren't submergeable, according to Axial, brushed motors are, you can dunk them in water and they'll work fine, BUT, the brushes will wear out a lot faster, that's why before BL motors, racers would apparently perform "water break-ins" to brushed motors to get the max performance out of them in a time pinch. So use BL motors in water at your own risk!
Axial's motors may not be submersible, but, i run all of my trucks in snow, rain, mud, bury them above the body in water, and, as long as you clean them, dry them, and oil them (a couple drops of sewing machine oil works really well) afterwards, i havent had any issues with mine, except for bearings going, and, when they do i just replace them with rubber shielded ones or ceramic ones. However, if you are going to run in a lot of water, always unplug the fan on the ESC first. This is my Losi 22S at a gravel dump on a wet day:

That video was actually taken almost a year ago, and i just replaced the bearings in the motor a couple weeks ago.
It seems that his brothers aren't SUPER skilled in RC wrenching, so it'd be best for them to just steer clear (no pun intended!) of water, as they'll have to dry and oil pretty much all the bearings, dry off and WD-40 metal parts to prevent rust, care for the electrics, ect. and maybe they're not up to that task!
A trick i have used for a long time is to strip the truck, and coat all the plastic parts in a light wax (automotive spray wax for plastic works really well), and the metal parts in WD-40. It makes cleaning a lot easier, and, this way you dont have to go nuts cleaning after every run. I typically redo the strip and clean maybe every 6 to 10 runs.

I always tell people, dont be afraid to run them in water, as long as you are willing to take the steps to prevent rust and issues ahead of time. If you arent willing to do that, then dont run them anywhere near water if you want them to last.

i put a castle sidewinder v2 in my ecx boost and circuit. also get the metal trans gears

So talkin with my brothers last night, they found 2 brushed replacment motor they bought and never installed. So we are going to install those first, and get them hooked up with lipo batteries. They were running 1800mah nimh

So talkin with my brothers last night, they found 2 brushed replacment motor they bought and never installed. So we are going to install those first, and get them hooked up with lipo batteries. They were running 1800mah nimh
Great, BUT they'll need a LiPo charger, two battery alarms, and a charging bag. Can they take care of the LiPos? If treated BADLY, LiPos can catch fire, not often, but it can happen.

Why would it need a lipo alarm? The esc can run both. I have my protek charger they can use. My oldest younger brother has his cdl and plows roads now, so i hope he can take care of a lipo battery 😅

Back