ECX Ruckus or ARRMA Voltage? (My sons 1st RC)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theUNE

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, 1st post for me. I bought my 8 year old son a ECX Ruckus 2wd for X-mas and I'm wondering if I made a good choice rather than getting the ARRMA Voltage. He's never had a hobby grade RC car. I already purchased a 2s lipo for it and most likely wont be doing any upgrades to it, just letting him have fun with it and replacing any broken parts along the way. When it's time, I'll probably upgrade to a better car/mt altogether.
I myself am just getting back into RC's thanks to my 12 year old daughter who saved up her money and bought herself a Traxxas Rustler 2wd (brushed). I kicked in some $ and bought her a Traxxas charger with lipo combo. I used to have a few RC's back in the day (Tamiya Blackfoot, Tamiya Frog, Tamiya Fox, Losi Jrx2) and I always had friends to drive around with, much more fun than driving solo so of course, I picked up a Arrma Granite 4x4 blx for myself, absolutely love this truck!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, 1st post for me. I bought my 8 year old son a ECX Ruckus 2wd for X-mas and I'm wondering if I made a good choice rather than getting the ARRMA Voltage. He's never had a hobby grade RC car. I already purchased a 2s lipo for it and most likely wont be doing any upgrades to it, just letting him have fun with it and replacing any broken parts along the way. When it's time, I'll probably upgrade to a better car/mt altogether.
I myself am just getting back into RC's thanks to my 12 year old daughter who saved up her money and bought herself a Traxxas Rustler 2wd (brushed). I kicked in some $ and bought her a Traxxas charger with lipo combo. I used to have a few RC's back in the day (Tamiya Blackfoot, Tamiya Frog, Tamiya Fox, Losi Jrx2) and I always had friends to drive around with, much more fun than driving solo so of course, I picked up a Arrma Granite 4x4 blx for myself, absolutely love this truck!

I did the exact same thing with my 11 year old daughter, and I’m chomping at the bit waiting for my son to loose a little of his spaz and a few years older. I went with the ecx amp (essentially the same as ruckus) the ruckus I think is actually a little better quality. But anyways on 3s it never broke anything, currently torn down cuz she’s capable of handling faster but wanted to stay at 1/10. Hit myself with a Nero at about 45mph (200# 5’9” workout 6 days a week religiously) and Jesus it would of broke her legs no doubt. The platform and aftermarket for the ecx trucks is pretty extensive and if your kids are like mine building it is half the fun, making your buy a solid inexpensive modifiable choice that can give you both half a decade of entertainment. Biggest thing I’ve learned introducing kids into hobbies like this is to avoid any downtime, 21 days of having fun before frustration days kick in and they’ll be hooked. (Obviously only if they truly do enjoy it anyways) Good buy mate imo

I did the exact same thing with my 11 year old daughter, and I’m chomping at the bit waiting for my son to loose a little of his spaz and a few years older. I went with the ecx amp (essentially the same as ruckus) the ruckus I think is actually a little better quality. But anyways on 3s it never broke anything, currently torn down cuz she’s capable of handling faster but wanted to stay at 1/10. Hit myself with a Nero at about 45mph (200# 5’9” workout 6 days a week religiously) and Jesus it would of broke her legs no doubt. The platform and aftermarket for the ecx trucks is pretty extensive and if your kids are like mine building it is half the fun, making your buy a solid inexpensive modifiable choice that can give you both half a decade of entertainment. Biggest thing I’ve learned introducing kids into hobbies like this is to avoid any downtime, 21 days of having fun before frustration days kick in and they’ll be hooked. (Obviously only if they truly do enjoy it anyways) Good buy mate imo
Right on Forrest125, appreciate it.

Back