Earthquake 3.5.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodys

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a earthquake 3.5. Excited about getting into nitro rc cars. Broke it in drove it about 4 times. The next time I went to use it it won't move. Just revs sometimes it will catch and move than it seems to slip out of gear. I am brand new to this but willing to learn. Help

it has a adjustable 2 speed transmission no instructions in manual about adjusting that?

it has a adjustable 2 speed transmission no instructions in manual about adjusting that?
It is no instructions. I've been viewing a lot of video its a bit much. But I expected that.

It is no instructions. I've been viewing a lot of video its a bit much. But I expected that.
When I hold it off ground and rev it the wheels turn. When I put it on the ground nothing

Make sure slipper clutch on spur gear is tight enough.

Thank you all for your insight. I will look into all your suggest ions

When I hold it off ground and rev it the wheels turn. When I put it on the ground nothing
If the engine dies when you put it on the ground then the clutch spring is bad.

Well there could be one of a couple things, but idle tighten your slipper clutch nut all the way down then back it off 1/8 to 1/4 turn and see if that helps, if not check the clutch and shoes and make sure they are intact

Well there could be one of a couple things, but idle tighten your slipper clutch nut all the way down then back it off 1/8 to 1/4 turn and see if that helps, if not check the clutch and shoes and make sure they are intact
If the motor runs and sits there then something is broken.

Last edited:
I have a earthquake 3.5. Excited about getting into nitro rc cars. Broke it in drove it about 4 times. The next time I went to use it it won't move. Just revs sometimes it will catch and move than it seems to slip out of gear. I am brand new to this but willing to learn. Help
I have this truck and same problems. It's the one way bearing on the 2 speed shaft. I drilled a hole and pinned the shaft so it's only 1 speed but it moves lol. Tried finding replacement gearbox. But unavailable.

I have this truck and same problems. It's the one way bearing on the 2 speed shaft. I drilled a hole and pinned the shaft so it's only 1 speed but it moves lol. Tried finding replacement gearbox. But unavailable.
tried finding a replacement one way bearing?

That is the horrors of discontinued parts ,that vital O-way bearing in the trans!...
You know, I was always surprised at how long some of them last though. Like the ones in my revo's and savage's over the years. They seem to just last forever. The only time I had issues was when I ran a big block in my first t-maxx and broke the shaft the OWB rides on. Otherwise, they just lasted for 10+ gallons without issue or any maintenance.

Could be because it's enclosed in the trans case, so it never sees dirt or a lot of heat to cook the oil out of it.

tried finding a replacement one way bearing?
I did and did get a replacement one way bearing and shaft from redcrap however that one failed within minutes. How can you have a 3.5cc anything rely solely on a one way bearing carrying the load. This one never made a 2nd gear shift. It tried then locked up all 4 wheels wide open lol.

You know, I was always surprised at how long some of them last though. Like the ones in my revo's and savage's over the years. They seem to just last forever. The only time I had issues was when I ran a big block in my first t-maxx and broke the shaft the OWB rides on. Otherwise, they just lasted for 10+ gallons without issue or any maintenance.

Could be because it's enclosed in the trans case, so it never sees dirt or a lot of heat to cook the oil out of it.

I only had one that went out ,I have the ones still good in 3 of my trucks once I learned not to do with them!..:cool:

I did and did get a replacement one way bearing and shaft from redcrap however that one failed within minutes. How can you have a 3.5cc anything rely solely on a one way bearing carrying the load. This one never made a 2nd gear shift. It tried then locked up all 4 wheels wide open lol.

Maybe you can punch out the OWB in the holder and replace it with a good one. There are many trucks that are larger with larger more powerful engines that work fine with a OWB for the transmission to have 2 speeds.

Think you could post a photo of both sides of the OWB so we can see it? Maybe one from a better company will work in it's place. Not likely, but maybe.

Here you are

Attachments

• 20210119_165003.jpg
    20210119_165003.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210119_165030.jpg
    20210119_165030.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210119_165036.jpg
    20210119_165036.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 49