e-revo section? Info for a e-newbie...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Is there a separate e-revo section I'm not seeing? Pretty certain I'll be getting one for Christmas... unless life takes a hard turn. I don't usually pay for new retail, but figured my first big foray into electric, it might be a good idea. Just thought I'd try and see what issues/upgrades may be necessary right away.

For now, just the 56086-4 (brushless revo) with dual traxxas iD 3S 5000mah packs and the traxxas ezpeak dual charger. Got a couple months to research and read up on it in my spare time. Hopefully will have time to run the thing over the holiday. Haven't fired up a nitro all summer... RPM true-track arms rear and rpm arms/carriers for the front will be the first upgrade. Probably let my wife get me that for my b-day in March. Also probably a t-bones rear skid/wheelie bar. Guessing the wing won't be enough.

Probably going to order the bits for the variable shocks and use a spare turnbuckle to make a rear chassis brace I see people complaining about. Not sure why they say it's necessary, other than the wing will rip itself out like it does on my nitro revo's. Will have to investigate a roll bar/cage as well to avoid having the body become a crumpled mess before my first packs are dead. Also not sure if replacing the receiver with a normal one is ok to do or not. Would rather use my spektrum vs having two transmitters to fuss with. After checking the manual on the traxxas transmitter... pretty sure I'd slit my wrists before I got it half way set up. Will replace the servos with a single servo at some point I'm sure.

Anyway, will keep reading and see what I can find.

Is there a separate e-revo section I'm not seeing?
No sir we don't as no one has requested one yet and it seems threads for them have gone into the Electric RC, Revo, or Monster Truck forums. I'll be happy to add one if you think we could use it!

If no one has mentioned it by now... probably isn't overly necessary. I was just double checking in case I was overlooking a sub-forum or something. Made sense to me though to have a nitro revo, e-revo, nitro savage, e-savage sub-forum though. I know a lot of things are the same, but there are also a lot of questions/info that aren't the same.

I don't know about the newer traxxas radios, but the style I have, trying to count flashes etc to do a simple servo reverse... Was enough to have me out a couple more spectrum receivers on my 'to buy' list... Santa doesn't have enough room in his sleigh for all the things I want/need... Not enough for all the coal that I SHOULD be getting instead... I actually have a whole new list occupied... Naughy, nice and dirty bastard!!!

I don't know about the newer traxxas radios, but the style I have, trying to count flashes etc to do a simple servo reverse... Was enough to have me out a couple more spectrum receivers on my 'to buy' list... Santa doesn't have enough room in his sleigh for all the things I want/need... Not enough for all the coal that I SHOULD be getting instead... I actually have a whole new list occupied... Naughy, nice and dirty bastard!!!
If your spektrum can deal with DSM2... I highly suggest these instead: http://www.targethobby.com/3ch-dsm-2-24g-surface-receiver-for-rc-car-rc-truck-rc-bugg-p-4162193.html

I bought 2 to try, had to wait 2 weeks for them to show up, but tripled my range. I always have had issues with spektrum's range (~80 yards), but I use them anyway. These stupid $9 receivers were so damn liberating! lol I bought 3 more to put them in all my rigs!

I have read a lilabout them but never tried one. I'll have to check out the compatibility. They would work in all my electric and in all but the Revo for me. Def worth the $9!!!
Thanks for the link!

Did you use a modified card. In the transmitter with it too? Again, I read about it. Seems you could do all sorts of fun stuff with it, but it has been redesigned so there is no more mod'd fun to be had.

Nope. Just an out of the box DX3C transmitter and it synced right up without any fuss. Well, after I took it apart and added a charge jack. :)

For the money, they are good systems. I have heard other ppl complain about the range but that was a while back. As far as I know, spektrum fixed whatever issue(s) were causing that.

Well, the DX3C was still crappy like the DX3R and DX3.0 that I had. I was hoping for better as well when I got the DX3C. It wasn't. Seems the bipole antenna makes the difference and all the spektrum receivers I had/have were single wire. All I know is that I can now drive further than I can hear or see to control, which is a first for me since forever. AM/FM were awful for me too, so not sure if there's something in my area that conflicts or what.

The first thing I did on my 1/16 eRevo was put in a Spektrum RX. I also later added a center diff to help keep the front end down on 3s (the equivalent of 6s on the 1/10 eRevo B/L). I also added the TiN shocks for smooth rebound. The only real short-fall that I really had was a melted slipper that I caused by not adjusting properly. For durability I added RPM arms, knuckles and bumpers as well as titanium links and pushrods.

20130820_191834_zps00a8681d.jpg

20130820_191715_zps50d17c78.jpg

20130820_191705_zps2748ad97.jpg

For the money, they are good systems. I have heard other ppl complain about the range but that was a while back. As far as I know, spektrum fixed whatever issue(s) were causing that.

I bought my DX3C about 8 months before the new DX4 systems came out, and receivers within the last year. So my DX3C would be one of these "fixed" ones, I only get about 80 yards as well. It's so bad if right now I could justify the cost to my RC use I would be investing in a Futaba system. But if those cheap receivers really work that much better well that definitely be worth it.

Back