Dying Parts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjints

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was thinking about possibly dying my stock black parts of my GT a different color, must the parts be white in order to dye them or I won't have a problem dying my black parts a different color?

they need to be white and need to be of a dyeable material. u can use Rite dye to dye stuff. its a powder, comes in a small box, mix it with boiling water... follow the directions on the box.

later

Here's a set of rims I dod for my inferno. The streaking in the rims is a result of a lack of glueing technique vs any discoloration as a result of dying.
CIMG0017a.JPG

jbjints-

It's actually RIT dye and you can get it in liquid form as well. A little more easily dissolved in water.

You can also dye any lighter color, not just white. But the color you're dying must typically be darker (blue, purple, black, red). I've done yellow, orange and flo. green wheels to various darker colors.

You can adjusty the depth and tone by the length of time you let the parts soak. I made some yellow rims a flo. orange with red dye using a weak mixture and shortened the soaking time.

Enjoy.

-SlingItX

SlingItX couldnt have said it any better.

Can you dye metal parts to... like anoidize it?

Originally posted by Noodle
Can you dye metal parts to... like anoidize it?

Unfortunately..... NO.... At least not with RIT dye, if thats what your asking...
It would be nice..

I wanted to dye my GT's A-arms a different color, they are currently black, is there any way of me purchasing white A-arms?

Years ago, Associated changed from true nylon parts to a more composite mix. Shorlty after they started molding the stuff in black because the new parts were melting/distorting from the boiling.

Boiling used to help the old AE stuff become more flexable also.

[OFF TOPIC]

Noodle-

It is possible to anodize your own parts, but as ImBroken stated it can't be done with RIT.

Check out this link.
Anodize at Home

Hardly inexpensive (unless you have this gear lying around) but what in this hobby is?

jbjints, sorry for stepping on your thread. Won't happen again.

-SlingItX

Back