Dust and your Air Filter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I have a question since the subject of dust has been brought up. The thread posted by Z400, and a coment made by Jetmech made me think of a question I forgot to ask. Two weeks ago I actually got to race and the track conditions were very similar to what was described. The track was clay and dry and therefore very dusty. In fact the dust was very very fine. I heard one of the nitro guys say that everyone should go home and tear down their engines to clean them out. He said the dust was so fine that the airfilters would have not been able to protect the motor from getting dust in it. Is this the case? I didn't run nitro that day, but when I do I run a regular 8th scale filter oiled, and then a pre-filter that is oiled to. I usually bring more than one and switch them out during the race. I was just wondering if this is true. Thanks guys.

Tom

I dont think so. Companys have made these filters well, so they dont have to replace engines all the time. They have to make them to withstand all these dust types. That pre filter and filter should of got all of it.

Sounds alot like the guy who said that had a good case of dust in the brain. I've never had to tear down an engine because of a dusty track; only clean the filter after every-other run.

You should be able to look down the carb throat and see if there is any dust/dirt hanging around. There is fuel in that area, so it would stick there if the filter was letting some by.

That is what I have thought as well guys. I have always just oiled the filters well, and used a pre-filter. On the really dusty days, I change the filter after two runs. One of the guys running 8th scale buggy ruined his .21 V-Spec motor because of dust that got down in the motor and scored the sleeve. Now I didn't see his motor and filter setup.... just going on his word. Now this dust was talcum powder fine too. Just want to make sure that this would not be an issue... I can't afford to replace a $200 plus mill. Thanks guys.

Tom

Tom, you don't need to, or shouldn't oil the prefilter, it only attracts and holds more dust. Just oil the inner and leave the outer. On days like saturday, I ran mine for the qualifiers and changed it out before the main. You'll know when it's getting to full, the engine will start to run fat.

Thank you for the info my friend. I will no longer oil the outer filter. Dang rookies... whatcha going to do with us?

Tom

Thank you for the info my friend. I will no longer oil the outer filter. Dang rookies... whatcha going to do with us?

Tom

Do like they do to me, point at me and my stupid mistakes and laugh.

Like mentioned above too, check the neck to ensure dirt is not slipping through.

Back