Duratrax vendetta

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The battery charger for the RC car is designed to hook up to a 1:1 car battery not a charger.

An automotive charger is far to powerful, depending on what the "maintain" setting was a person could maybe use that as it is usually a trickle setting charging at a very low amperage respectively. But I couldn't condone it.

I would recommend investing in a balance charger, that way a person could charge various battery types and cell counts. Much safer too.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EF15Q4...UTF8&colid=995CBEQ0QFBT&coliid=I3AT7T9XME7556
Would need to either purchase the laptop power supply in the "frequently bought together" or a better option would be to "hack" a power supply of a desktop computer so that it will run, not hooked to a computer. These power supplies have more juice available and can handle larger loads, as well as have a built in cooling fan. I use the B6 linked above, but I have yet to set up the desktop PS, just running on the laptop charger right now, it gets pretty warm at times.

Or if you really don't see yourself getting lipo/multiple battery's and just sticking with what you have, a wall charger would do just fine.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL342 (not sure what connection you have, just an example)
But if you upgrade your motor/esc I see lipo's in the very near future. :thumbs-up:

Edit:
Wait, I'm confused, is this unit in question for charging automotive batteries?

Or is it a charger that hooks to an automotive battery to charge smaller batteries?

Two very different things.

Last edited:
The battery charger for the RC car is designed to hook up to a 1:1 car battery not a charger.

You can also use a 12 VDC regulated power supply that can be found at most radio shops and at Radio Shack.

A good charger is a must and a balance charger is a good investment for the future as it will not only charge the NiMH you currently have, but can charge the newer LiPo and LiFe batteries as well.

I plan on getting a charger like that in the future but I just don't have the money for that right now ( I'm 16) me and my dad have used this charger with that car charger before I just don't remember what setting he put it on

It would have been the maintenance setting, usually charges at 1-2 amps. The other setting are far too much amperage. It would charge way too fast and could easily overcharge the cells. A typical automotive battery has anywhere from 30,000-60,000mAh capacity. The pack in your RC probably has 2000 or less. So that charger won't ever stop charging on its own, you will have to time and monitor the charging cycle, also a multimeter or voltage checker would be a good idea.

Back