Duratrax Six Pack SC'S review after 3 months

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
These tires are pretty good. I can go through the grass easily and I have alot of traction in the street. The rear tires wear down not so quickly. They lasted 5 runs before the center if the tire got run down. The problem is the wheels. I stripped both hexes in 20 minutes. I would give these tires a 2/5.

With that I plan to get the tires off of the wheels and use a different set of wheels or getting a whole new set of wheels/tires. I am thinking about the badlands or trenchers from PL but it is 26 dollars more for a set. I would like the PLs since they are removable hexes so if they strip I can replace them or I can change the offset if I need too.

What do y'all think? Any new tire recommendations or any suggestions for removing the tire from the wheel?

I have these on the rear of my Arrma Raider XL (buggy in my pfp) and they've been great with a 3s brushless system. Although I'm not a super hard basher so they may not last as long for you but for me they've been great for most terrain

PXL_20230319_003113542.jpg

Yeah, I use Louise tires (they're branded Dtx in the States but called Louise elsewhere) and they're really cheap for what you get - a tire that can rival PL or Jconcepts for a fraction of the price. Unfortunately the wheels are buttery, so I make sure to check my wheel nuts every pack or even more often.

David, take a look at the P-L Gladiator. YouTube vids show them handling grass well. Got a set for grass running the Rustler and the MT10. Did a backyard test on the MT10 but haven't run them at speed yet. Did handle grass well in the back yard at 50% throttle. 'AC'

P-L Glads

These tires are pretty good. I can go through the grass easily and I have alot of traction in the street. The rear tires wear down not so quickly. They lasted 5 runs before the center if the tire got run down. The problem is the wheels. I stripped both hexes in 20 minutes. I would give these tires a 2/5.

With that I plan to get the tires off of the wheels and use a different set of wheels or getting a whole new set of wheels/tires. I am thinking about the badlands or trenchers from PL but it is 26 dollars more for a set. I would like the PLs since they are removable hexes so if they strip I can replace them or I can change the offset if I need too.

What do y'all think? Any new tire recommendations or any suggestions for removing the tire from the wheel?
I don't run 1/10 scale, and haven't had personal experience with these tires. I've heard that the Badlands are a solid, grippy off-road bashing tire, and they supposedly don't balloon too much, but they are a bit heavy.

What exactly are you looking for, a new set of tires, rims, or a wheel (tire + rim)? If you have the time and money, for your uses, probably just buy the rim you want, and mount your favorite tires on there, rather than making compromises and buying a wheel. If you want to change tires out now and then, maybe consider beadlocks? IDRK how feasible they are for you, but maybe they'll work! Best of luck!

What were you running these on? How many cells? I have been quite satisfied with the DTX Shotgun sct's so far. They've been used on a Bandit vxl, Hoss, Tekno sct410. On 2 and 3s. Also running the Dynamite speadtread breakaways and DTX six pack 2.8 on the Hoss, 3s.
I admit they're budget minded, the wheels aren't great. I suspect the wheelnuts may have loosened up? I've ruined a set or two from loose wheelnuts.. I think the DTX and Dynamite rubber is pretty good though.

What were you running these on? How many cells? I have been quite satisfied with the DTX Shotgun sct's so far. They've been used on a Bandit vxl, Hoss, Tekno sct410. On 2 and 3s. Also running the Dynamite speadtread breakaways and DTX six pack 2.8 on the Hoss, 3s.
I admit they're budget minded, the wheels aren't great. I suspect the wheelnuts may have loosened up? I've ruined a set or two from loose wheelnuts.. I think the DTX and Dynamite rubber is pretty good though.
I was running them on my slash. Brushless and on 2s. I believe it was 20/86 gearing at the time.
Yes they are budget tires / wheels
I figured out that it was my wheel nuts. They were cheap amazon ones I got like 2 years ago. And they backed out so easily. I have 2 sets of Traxxas aluminum, serrated + flanged wheel nuts in my AMain cart.

I was running them on my slash. Brushless and on 2s. I believe it was 20/86 gearing at the time.
I figured out that it was my wheel nuts. They were cheap amazon ones I got like 2 years ago. And they backed out so easily. I have 2 sets of Traxxas aluminum, serrated + flanged wheel nuts in my AMain cart.
Oh good, I mean, sorry they got stripped but, glad you figured it out..
I prefer steel, but aluminum saves some weight. These are a consumable part, the nylon wears out after a while, then they start backing off..
I've gotten away with using standard nylon insert locknuts too, really depends on the strength of the wheel at the center. Weaker wheels will crack without the flanged nuts.

Right now I am using the traxxas anacondas on my slash and rustler. With me going back to the stock silver wheel nuts, I have no problems. I plan to get rid of the anaconda's and getting another set of Duratrax. Or maybe I should invest in ProLines. But those will be expensive. But worth it? maybe.

Right now I am using the traxxas anacondas on my slash and rustler. With me going back to the stock silver wheel nuts, I have no problems. I plan to get rid of the anaconda's and getting another set of Duratrax. Or maybe I should invest in ProLines. But those will be expensive. But worth it? maybe.
Idk, as a chronic cheapskate, I always buy the "other" tires.. but, there is no denying the quality difference from Proline to say TRX, DTX ect..
If you can swing the Prolines, they're great tires.. I've heard good things about GRP as well, guess there pretty affordable, not sure what they actually offer though. Seem to be popular with the street/speed running crowd🤷‍♂️

I've heard good things about GRP as well, guess there pretty affordable, not sure what they actually offer though. Seem to be popular with the street/speed running crowd🤷‍♂️
I am doing street bashing, side walk, off road in the grass or field. Some speed runs here and there. I like to run my cars on the carpet and clay track. I am trying to get them dialed in for those tracks but it ain't happening. Just too much time and money. There are all terrain tires out there but not really all terrain.

I am doing street bashing, side walk, off road in the grass or field. Some speed runs here and there. I like to run my cars on the carpet and clay track. I am trying to get them dialed in for those tracks but it ain't happening. Just too much time and money. There are all terrain tires out there but not really all terrain.
Yes to pretty much all of what you've said..
Dialing a rig in to be competitive is certainly a "craft" IMO. With time and patience, and lots of testing, you'll get there. Keep in mind you can only go so far with something that's not intended for racing, limited adjustability as well as design can't be overcome..
There's always a trade off with "all terrain" tires.. at best, they work ok everywhere but rarely excel anywhere..you can have a carpet tire that will work on clay I believe, but will have to be either really clean and smooth clay, or it'll be just "ok" on carpet..these are guesses as I really don't race myself. I'm interested, but not enough so to go out of my way to do it.. so, we built a track on my property. We started a few years back, myself, daughter and her boyfriend (ex now).. we literally just started clearing woods..
Nowadays, it's my brother and I. My daughter meet a new guy and now lives with him about 2.5 hours drive from home.
It's just a figure 8 track amongst the trees, many blind spots due to said trees, hard pack clay that's a bit rough. Lots of rocks constantly being unearthed as we run on it. We have a blast, makes good bonding time since we grew apart after childhood. He got married, kids..yada yada.. he got divorced about 5 years ago, which is when we started reconnecting. Rc's might be the only thing we have in common, and boy do we have "the bug" for rc's!!😁😉😎

Oh good, I mean, sorry they got stripped but, glad you figured it out..
I prefer steel, but aluminum saves some weight. These are a consumable part, the nylon wears out after a while, then they start backing off..
I've gotten away with using standard nylon insert locknuts too, really depends on the strength of the wheel at the center. Weaker wheels will crack without the flanged nuts.
I seen the thread title, then seen pics of wheel hexs...
1686394473598.png

Yes, some wheels shouldn't be made/offered, but, at the same time, user error plays a part in RC "stuff" being classified as less than great. I look back at wheel nuts from brushed days, and how (some/most) wheel nuts evolved into to what we have today. If taking wheels on/off frequently, then buy the best serrated+flangged+nyloc wheel nuts you can buy... crank them down. Me, being a "basher" most days, threadlocker on wheel nuts is like Ron Popeil says... set it, and forget it 😉 .

I use threadlocker on all 1/8 scale wheelnuts, serrated or not. My first foray into 1/8 scale was the TT MT4 back around 2011. It didn't have serrated nuts, didn't take long to "lose a nut".. of course I had no spares on hand either.
Lesson learned, always use threadlocker and have spares on hand. Just don't think ur gonna use TRX 12mm wheelnuts on anything "other than TRX"..or vise versa..🤔🤬
TRX marches to their own drum🤷‍♂️

I agree on the locktite on wheel nuts, especially after removing them several times. I hate disposing of my beautiful gold wheel nuts.
On to tires though, the six packs are really good and comparable to the badlands MX, probably better in my opinion because the blocks are ever so slightly smaller which gives better traction on my terrain. I personally have found the OG badlands is my favorite on my DB48, they tend to slip across the grass rather than grab hold of it, same in dirt. It’s a huge advantage.
I have yet to try the Jconcepts choppers, those are next on my list for the sct410.3 because they don’t make em in a 2.8mt size.
With tires you will have to try some stuff out, especially racing, each terrain has a special tire and you will just have to find that special one for you. I never have enough tires and I don’t even race!

Back