Dry Diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgrind

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post, and first RC I've had since 1996 when I was young. Back then I knew how to drive and knew basic stuff (tyres, suspension, gears, crystals, trim, bearing cleaning etc). Had an RC10 graphite. But best presume my knowledge is next to zero for RC's since it was nearly 30 years ago.

My dad had a Ansmann Terrier 2.0 in a box from ~10 years ago never used. I am building it up. I've found very little detail on this brand online (Except they build batteries), and the manual doesn't appear to have specifics like other brands, so suspect it is a bit of and off brand, and I'd have preferred electric and its nitro...but its already purchased, so will use it if I can, or maybe I'll build it and swap for an electric.

My questions are around the diff. The front and rear diffs came prebuilt.

The manual does not indicate that it needs any oil or grease inside the diff. It does indicate grease on the seal.

Manual can be found here and is on page 3.

Is it possible that is actually by design? Just doesn't seem right to me to have no lube in there?

Do I need to split it open and add oil or grease? It does feel a little notchy and slightly noisy, but I've never touched one before, so don't know what to expect.

As a side note of interest to some: Dad still has his RC10 gold tub, so plans to do that up as well I think.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Hi All,

First post, and first RC I've had since 1996 when I was young. Back then I knew how to drive and knew basic stuff (tyres, suspension, gears, crystals, trim, bearing cleaning etc). Had an RC10 graphite. But best presume my knowledge is next to zero for RC's since it was nearly 30 years ago.

My dad had a Ansmann Terrier 2.0 in a box from ~10 years ago never used. I am building it up. I've found very little detail on this brand online (Except they build batteries), and the manual doesn't appear to have specifics like other brands, so suspect it is a bit of and off brand, and I'd have preferred electric and its nitro...but its already purchased, so will use it if I can, or maybe I'll build it and swap for an electric.

My questions are around the diff. The front and rear diffs came prebuilt.

The manual does not indicate that it needs any oil or grease inside the diff. It does indicate grease on the seal.

Manual can be found here and is on page 3.

Is it possible that is actually by design? Just doesn't seem right to me to have no lube in there?

Do I need to split it open and add oil or grease? It does feel a little notchy and slightly noisy, but I've never touched one before, so don't know what to expect.

As a side note of interest to some: Dad still has his RC10 gold tub, so plans to do that up as well I think.

Cheers
Chris
ansmann i hear is pretty decent, not really high end, but decent.
not very common in the states but in EU pretty popular, though i dont know about that particular model.
coming pre-built itmost likely currently already has grease in the diffs. pretty standard for RTR, that said i would 100% open them up and check, and shim as necessary. not all the time is there enough grease/oil in the diffs from factory, always a good idea to double check.
given it does have a sealed diff, id remove the grease and replace with oil, a good standard for nitro trugy/buggy is 7,000CST diff oil in the front, 10,000CST diff oil in the center, and 3,000CST in the rear. use grease on the ring and pinions gears.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would think that they should have diff oil/grease in them. I'm no professional but I've never personally seen a diff designed to run dry.

thanks guys. I'll open them up. I just find it odd that the manual doesn't even hint at putting oil nor grease in there.

I've found this manual is pretty bad.

It has the same part numbers for different sized bolt/screws etc and no sizing on paper (ie. I've read main brand ones have diagrams showing actual screw size so you can identify them).

The parts were packaged into bags...but not into relative sections, so you need to open the whole lot to then sort through which parts you need...with no sizing indication.

So I'm building a section up till I can't work out the right size bolt, then swap to another section and come back when I've got no other bits left.

At least I'll know how it goes together at the end :)

well, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. Sure looks cleaner with oil.

Attachments

• IMG_9457.jpg
    IMG_9457.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9458.jpg
    IMG_9458.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 70
Back