does anyone know the max charge rate of turnigys

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exmark93

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
on the back it says never charge above 4c, I've read online that its 2c. I'm not concerned in the least bit of the life of the pack. if anyone can clear this up for me "that would be great" - bill lumbergh:hehe:

I would stick with 1C as a safety. The last thing ya need is one going up in flames on ya!...lol. It is says not about 4c then 2c "Should" be safe but still the safe standard is a 1C rating. It is not really about the life of the pack but the safety issue.

1c is the safest and will help the battery last longer as Joey said.

Charging at 1c will also help the pack to reach full capacity instead getting cut off because it reached its voltage cut off to fast. safe charge rate is .1 amps per 100mah, so you could safely charge a 5000mah pack at 5 amps.

Charging at 1c will also help the pack to reach full capacity instead getting cut off because it reached its voltage cut off to fast. safe charge rate is .1 amps per 100mah, so you could safely charge a 5000mah pack at 5 amps.

i have 4200, i only use my rc cars twice a year if that, well point being, for a while i would forget what they could be charged at. they are 8 cell turnigy 4200s. they get pretty warm at 2.5. i usually have to charge them on 1.5 or 1.0. anything higher they get warm/hot.

Completely agree with abadk420, hamz and joey. I don't care what the lipo pack says I only charge at 1C nowadays. I used to run apogee packs which were supposedly safe to charge at 2C and they ended up puffing on me.

i have 4200, i only use my rc cars twice a year if that, well point being, for a while i would forget what they could be charged at. they are 8 cell turnigy 4200s. they get pretty warm at 2.5. i usually have to charge them on 1.5 or 1.0. anything higher they get warm/hot.

I assume the OP is asking about lipos, not nimh. Your lipos should NEVER get warm while charging.

alright thanks guys, so I'm gonna guess that charging lipos at 2.5c rate on a wood work bench is bad then? hahahaa i need a metal box

alright thanks guys, so I'm gonna guess that charging lipos at 2.5c rate on a wood work bench is bad then? hahahaa i need a metal box
Yeah agree with you...not the best idea you have probably had:). Seriously stick to 1C unless you want to make a cool lipo fire video for youtube.

what are you guys calling c? amps?

and sorry yea, i have lipo's and ni'mh. i balance the lipo's about every 5 charges and never had a issue. i charge them at about 2 or 3 amps when i'm not balancing them, when i balance i charge them at about .5 to 1 amp.

not saying this is recomended, just stating what i do.

Last edited:
The 'C' rating indicates the discharge rate of the LiPo pack.

Charging at 1C means you charge the pack at the equivalent of the battery capacity. If charging a 1,000mah pack at 1C, you would be charging it at 1 amp.

The 'C' rating indicates the discharge rate of the LiPo pack.

Charging at 1C means you charge the pack at the equivalent of the battery capacity. If charging a 1,000mah pack at 1C, you would be charging it at 1 amp.

didn't know that, thank you for the education! :)

i generally store them in a fireproof box. i drilled a hole in side for the connections. will a fireproof box work or should i get a metal box, dont really know if the box would work from a fire on the inside

Back