Does anyone have any Break in advice for my MGT 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CV24

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My name is Chris and I bought my MGT 8.0 a couple weeks ago. I can not get this thing to run right at all. I really dont want to have to send it in. I took it to a hobby shop, they worked on it for a while, gave it back and said some nitro vehicles are tricky to break in. I am really looking for some suggestions and advice, I start it up it will run ok for a few mins then it jumps on me or will stall out. Its hard to ask for help when I dont know what the problem is, I am just hoping someone else had these sort of problems out of the box, or someone that is really experienced and could give me a little help. The guy at the shop said all his nitro's started right out of the box.

Have you set it back to the factory rich settings?

Sent from my smartass phone

If it runs ok for a couple minutes then quits that means it running too lean. The 8.0 is a huge engine, and needs time to warm up. Most engines will lean out as they warm up, that's why it should be very rich and sluggish when it's cold. You should also consider warming it up before starting, as this will be better for it and make your life easier. Another thing to try is wrapping the head with a sock or tin foil etc, that way it'll reach the proper temps, and you can richen the needle to keep it from overheating if necessary.

Try these settings after you get the truck up to temperature: high speed needle 3 turns out, mid range needle about a turn out from flush, low speed 5 and a half turns out. I struggled with my 8.0 and these settings worked for me. The engine should not be machine gunning while your running it and you have to adjust the mid and low speed needles with the engine off and the carb open. So get the truck engine warm to hot, turn off everything, open up the carb, tune to the above settings.

Back