Do Engines Come Sealed?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
As the title asks, which I’m hoping isn’t a dumb question. Do nitro engines come sealed?
Or is that something the user does?
I get a lot of nitro leaking from near the carb when I run it hard.

I missed that thread. I’ll have to read trough it.
Is that something you’d do for a daily bashing setup. Or just for a performance race build?

@WoodiE
My pinch bolt has a flat head, how do you loosen that to get the carb off?

445C14B9-F473-40A5-BE34-5221DE6D16EE.jpeg

@JP-12 look on the other side of the engine, there is probably a nut. If so, loosen it and your carb should come right off.

@WoodiE
Once I put on my glasses I noticed it lol
Engines all sealed up! Waiting for my servos to come, and she’s ready to rip again!

Yep, with any new nitro I get, the first thing I do is take the engine completely apart, clean it all out with DA, apply ARO to all the moving bits, then seal it with RTV. So, the first 24 hours of any nitro to me is it sitting and waiting while the RTV cures. Doing that just rules out issues later on and also allows you to clean out any milling debris. You'd be surprised how much junk I've found inside brand new engines. Usually just a fine coating of sparkly shavings. Sometimes actual pieces.

Ok I'm newbie so this may be a basic question, I have already broke in my motor. Sealing the engine can still be done now correct? Granted if there were any minor air leaks I realize the engine will most likely need tuning touch ups.

Ok I'm newbie so this may be a basic question, I have already broke in my motor. Sealing the engine can still be done now correct? Granted if there were any minor air leaks I realize the engine will most likely need tuning touch ups.

Its ok to break in an engine with out sealing ,sealing an engine helps eliminating any potential air leaks
that will hender the tune of an engine ,the engine isn't the only thing that can bring you down!

You also need to put your fuel system & tank pressure in check as well!

Make sure that your fuel tank filter is clean ,make sure that the fuel tank can hold pressure ,an
doesn't leak ,also ,make sure that the tank is getting enough pressure from your muffler via through
the tube ,an is not restricted or plugged!

These tips may not be noted in a tuning guide ,an is very crucial to tuning ,as any air leaks ,
you will never be able to tune the engine correctly!....:cool:

Its ok to break in an engine with out sealing ,sealing an engine helps eliminating any potential air leaks
that will hender the tune of an engine ,the engine isn't the only thing that can bring you down!

You also need to put your fuel system & tank pressure in check as well!

Make sure that your fuel tank filter is clean ,make sure that the fuel tank can hold pressure ,an
doesn't leak ,also ,make sure that the tank is getting enough pressure from your muffler via through
the tube ,an is not restricted or plugged!

These tips may not be noted in a tuning guide ,an is very crucial to tuning ,as any air leaks ,
you will never be able to tune the engine correctly!....:cool:

What's the best way to pressure test the tank? Put a plugged fuel line on one hole and blow in from the other hole?

What's the best way to pressure test the tank? Put a plugged fuel line on one hole and blow in from the other hole?

Yea ,plug the hose off that goes to the carb. ,pull the line that goes to the muffler an blow in to
that one ,the tank should not lose pressure ,if so ,its probably the tank lid seal ,hole in tubing or
a cracked tank!
It is crucial that it can hold pressure to help push the fuel to the carb.!...:cool:

I found that the fuel tank lid had a small pice of plastic stuck in the lid were the nipple was screwing int the lid and that was killing me could not get a tune engine died about at half to 1/4 tanks so tank pressure is a very important thing i just test by blowing on my pressure tube and blocking the fuel tube that runs to the carb and see if the tank holds all its pressure and if i am done blowing if the tank relises all its pressure immediate because myne did not because of the blocked nipple on the feul cap.

Personally for me, with a new engine, I'm not tearing it down just to seal it, I'm tearing it down to clean it. I have yet to take a brand new engine out of the box that didn't have aluminum bits and milling dust inside it. I've had $90 to $300 engines, all had something in them. I'd clean them out with DA and q-tips, lube the bearings, sleeve, piston, con-rod with ARO and seal it as I put it back together.

Back