DIY repinching (with pics)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ what he said :)

I've ordered manifold, pipe, and fuel tank from the far east to set up a little test bench...will come in handy with or without hose clamp experiments, at least thats how i justify the $15.

I have a feeling ill get impatient on the shipping and do some disassembly of my running fleet to try it out first though.

Finished the break in on the Kyosho today, and so far so good. Compression hangs tight and the idle is as stable as it ever was. Can t wait to put it on a truck and run it!

Do you have a video of the car running?
Here you go:
Video was taken during break-in, so I wasn't running it past half-throttle. It was already hot when started in the vid (note the exhaust smoke as I crank in the beginning) and it started immediately.

Cool man. Looking good i told a friend about it that has a bunch of old motors so hopefully he can get some back up and running now. Thanks

Cool man. Looking good i told a friend about it that has a bunch of old motors so hopefully he can get some back up and running now. Thanks

Glad I could help! Def. tell us how it worked.

How did you heat it after tightening the clamp?

I placed it on an aluminum pan if I recall correctly. Heated it with a gas stove.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also placed it on one of those super-thin papers you use when making pie. Can't recall in english.

Last edited:
How did you heat it after tightening the clamp?
For mine, i just put it in the oven for 5-10 minutes on a cookie sheet (on foil, per wife's request!)

However, no test yet. I have received the fuel tank, but not the exhaust.

Question...when testing an engine, will the absense of the main large flywheel pose an issue? I know it provides inertia on a full scale engine....the smaller ridged flywheel is present, just not the large one the clutch attaches to. Do i need to acquire one? Id rather not pull one off a running car.

For mine, i just put it in the oven for 5-10 minutes on a cookie sheet (on foil, per wife's request!)

Question...when testing an engine, will the absense of the main large flywheel pose an issue? I know it provides inertia on a full scale engine....the smaller ridged flywheel is present, just not the large one the clutch attaches to. Do i need to acquire one? Id rather not pull one off a running car.

The small ridged one is probably the collar. I've seen a guy mounting the flywhe on the backplate when he needed the front collar for something else, so chances are you'll need one. I guess you could improvise and make a wooden one to use temporarily.

P.S. I've noticed something you might be interested to know. When using WD40 or after-run oil directly after stopping the engine, it looks like it takes away some of its pinch. You know the way we put the sleeve in water to make it stay the way we tightened it? Well, it looks like the after-run liquid has the same effect, by forcefully cooling the sleeve while it's still hot. Just a heads up of what could happen.

The small ridged one is probably the collar. I've seen a guy mounting the flywhe on the backplate when he needed the front collar for something else, so chances are you'll need one. I guess you could improvise and make a wooden one to use temporarily.

P.S. I've noticed something you might be interested to know. When using WD40 or after-run oil directly after stopping the engine, it looks like it takes away some of its pinch. You know the way we put the sleeve in water to make it stay the way we tightened it? Well, it looks like the after-run liquid has the same effect, by forcefully cooling the sleeve while it's still hot. Just a heads up of what could happen.

You don't need a fly wheel to test fire an engine ,just don't over rev or keep it at full throttle for too long!

An you don't need to put after run oil in an engine right after you run it ,the only time you need an after run oil
is if your not going to be running the engine in a long period of time ,.....per say any time after a month!....:cool:

You don't need a fly wheel to test fire an engine ,just don't over rev or keep it at full throttle for too long!

An you don't need to put after run oil in an engine right after you run it ,the only time you need an after run oil
is if your not going to be running the engine in a long period of time ,.....per say any time after a month!....:cool:

Thanks for the info! Stillwaiting for this darn exhaust to come. As far as afterrun, i've given up on it unless i plan to just put the car away and forget it, can cause other annoyances if not really careful with it.

I've not forgotten about this. I have the Exhaust, manifold and fuel tank to build my test stand, but neglected to pick up some motor mounts, so once again waiting on mail from half way around the world before i can proceed (without cannibalizing my fleet). I though about using wood blocks for mounts but due to the small gap between the crankcase and mounting holes, it was not going to be a sturdy setup screwing into wood right near the surface.

So worst case scenario after all this, i'll have a dead engine that's still dead, but will have constructed a cheap test stand for future use. Best case i'll have a running engine with nothing to put it in!

I've not forgotten about this. I have the Exhaust, manifold and fuel tank to build my test stand, but neglected to pick up some motor mounts, so once again waiting on mail from half way around the world before i can proceed (without cannibalizing my fleet). I though about using wood blocks for mounts but due to the small gap between the crankcase and mounting holes, it was not going to be a sturdy setup screwing into wood right near the surface.

So worst case scenario after all this, i'll have a dead engine that's still dead, but will have constructed a cheap test stand for future use. Best case i'll have a running engine with nothing to put it in!

Let's hope for the latter. Cannot wait for the results!

My phone apparently likes to dislike posts by itself. I never give negative rating, so if I dislike your post, I owe you a like.

Alright fellas, here is the first test. I'll let the video do the talking, but I do think in order to make any sort of conclusion, i'll need to put this bad boy in a car and see how it does after a few tanks. That would be the next project....

Alright fellas, here is the first test. I'll let the video do the talking, but I do think in order to make any sort of conclusion, i'll need to put this bad boy in a car and see how it does after a few tanks. That would be the next project....

Looking good! Does it sound like you remember it sounding?

Looking good! Does it sound like you remember it sounding?

It's louder, but it's also mounted on a loose piece if wood. Then again, I'm not sure, family was settled into bed so everything seems louder when you're hoping it's not too loud! Once I started it a few times (the video omits some of the fumbling around getting that first prolonged start) i think it sounded pretty healthy, but my ear for such things is amateur at best.

I may start looking for a roller to put this in. Maybe I can get something with a blown engine (likely advertised as "only driven 3 times!!!)

Theres nothing wrong with experimenting with old worn out engines!

I have several worn out engines out in the shed ,they been out there for 10 years ,they are nothing
but paper weights! I also have several engines sitting new in a box that I'm not using yet!

I've been involved in RC's for 20 years ,I built some an destroyed some ,An I enjoyed doing so ,it
was a good learning experience.

You can not enjoy something that lays up in a box or sits on a shelf ,that's no fun ,
you will enjoy it better if you toss it up in the air an use it for target practice!....:D
Paper weights? You can remove the piston and rod and have one hell of a keychain

Back