Direct replacement motor for LST2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanet1975

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello,
Looking into replacing the 427 with another motor and was wondering what would be a good upgrade the would use the same clutch unit and rotostart backplate? Is there such a thing?
Thanks....

very pleased with mine too easy install tons of power what more could you want...

Does the rotostart fit?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKYU8&P=7

Is this the motor you are talking about? Looks like they make a hpi rotostart backplate for it, but not sure if the lst2 one would work. Would the clutch swap right over and would this bolt right on?

Come to think of it I can buy a brand new motor from a Cen Genesis with the pullstart. Would that fit and would that be an upgrade from the 427? It pulls that huge heavy genesis around fairly well. Anyone know if it'll fit?

Yes. That's the LRP I have. Aside from the roto-start, it will drop right in. Although, I'd suggest getting a clutch/flywheel shim kit just to have on hand just in case.

The CEN genesis engine is too big. Requires a custom mount to fit in pretty much anything but the genesis. It's also a low RPM engine and the CEN truck is geared for that whereas many others are not.

As for your roto-start question, I don't know what works with it. I proffer pull-starts. The engine starts easy with a pull start after break-in. Once primed, mine normally starts up in 2-3 pulls and only dies when I end up on my back too long, run out of gas, or when I shut it off.

Sounds like you have it tuned quite nicely. My luck w/these little engines is not so good when it comes to tuning. Is the spec 3 that much of an improvement over the 427?
Thanks again!!

Uh... yes?!?! Night and day difference. I had two buddies running LST2's with stock engines and one with a muggy with a stock engine. They were fairly new to the hobby last year when I installed the LRP in my aftershock. I ran about 4 gallons with them with the stock 26SS engine in the aftershock and I wanted more power.

I had to gear up considerably to actually use the LRP or I was on my roof all the time. I did the trans gear flip mod and +1 losi bell. I could run circles around my friends and their trucks. I'd give them 20 yard head starts and overtake them pretty quickly. All the while, my engine is running at a breezy 240F while theirs are getting up in the 270-280 range.

I run standard sized tires which is partly why I geared up, but I recently geared up +3 over stock and the gear flip mod. Still wheelie city on many surfaces with poor grip tires (traxxas chevrons).

I was running the HPI polished savage pipe which is a very "open" pipe that lends itself to high torque low in the RPM's. I switched to an LST2 losi HT pipe and like it much better. Really smoothed out the engine HP range. Put the power curve more from 1/4-3/4 vs 0-1/2. It dropped my temps quite a bit as well and I had to tune it quite a bit more lean which in turn gives me longer run times.

It's also much quieter. I can't even hear mine anymore when I'm bashing with others... but I still overtake them with relative ease.

Sold........So this will be ok with the stock lst2 pipe? And it'll go good with the stock gearing? I'll have to read up on the gear mod you are referring to.
Thanks again!!!

Id upgrade the pipe at the same time. Maybe somthing like a jammin JP-3. :) But if u must, the stock is ok. Upgrading the pipe will give you another huge boost.

The stock LST2 HT pipe seemed pretty good to me. I'd order the +1 bell as well at least.

I've only tried a few pipes with this engine, none of which were the JP pipes.
HPI ribbed
RD Logics side pipe
HPI polished
LST2 HT pipe

Out of those, the last works the best for all around power.

stock pipe, LRP, stock gears running rich on fresh dirt. this will give an idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good to me. As soon as I get my drivetrain all squared away I will order one.......

One more question. What pullstarter gows with this? I'd like to order an extra as I have had issues with them in the past.
Thanks again....Oh, also what glow plugs do folks use? I was using mc59's would they be ok?

MC59 is perfect will work fine, as far as pull start goes I think the generic one sold at losi part warehouse should be fine but I prefer the roto-start.....

MC59 is perfect will work fine, as far as pull start goes I think the generic one sold at losi part warehouse should be fine but I prefer the roto-start.....
Losi has a combo pullstart/spinstart backplate. I heard it works as good as the Team Associated one found on the MGT.

Great. Thank you. Now I must go kiss the wifes butt to order. Reasonable at tower with the 20 off. Works out to 149. Anyone recommend anywhere else to buy from?
Thanks again!!

+4 for the LRP .28 Its deffenetly a Must get engine and the HT pipe is good for it.

Losi has a combo pullstart/spinstart backplate. I heard it works as good as the Team Associated one found on the MGT.

the pullstart/spinstart combo wont work for the lrp not even on the 427.

The 427 spinstart backplate will work on the lrp you just have to widen the screw holes just abit and it fits perfectly heres my lrp with the 427 spinstart plate.

The only problem that 2 of the 5 that i own were that 2 of them had leaking front crankcase bearing at the 2 gallon mark but i fixed that by replacing the bearings.

Great. Thank you. Now I must go kiss the wifes butt to order. Reasonable at tower with the 20 off. Works out to 149. Anyone recommend anywhere else to buy from?
Thanks again!!

tower is just about the best place for it and at 150 its not bad so make sure you do a good job with you wife :D you wont be sorry because the LRP is worth it.

Back