Diffs have holes in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ron Agent

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I am a newbie to this. Please be gentle. I have (my kids actually) to PXtoys 9203e 4x4 1/10. One I have converted to brushless and its great but it's basically rear wheel drive with little to no drive going to the front wheels. I have checked the diffs and gears and there is no stripping. I thought thicker diff oil might be the trick but my diffs have tiny holes in the case that the oil leaks from. Is this normal, do all diffs have bleed holes in them etc? When people say 'fill the diffs with oil' do they actually mean fill?

Can someone please explain?

All brands are different. I hsve some traxxas diffs that have seals and hold fluid, others are a plastic bowl and lid with gears that will leak through the crack.

You may be able to plug the holes with ca glue, but it may leak elsewhere also.

Do you have pics of the diff? Back in the day I would ca glue or use lock wash to lock my diffs.

the holes are more than likely designed in .. Id stay away from filling holes.and yes diff oil is put and used in rc diffs..many people will use different weight oils to fine tun there rcs to what they want an like...you might try a diff grease it might stay in the diffs.you really have whats called a toy grade so tunning options will be limited...

So I am a newbie to this. Please be gentle. I have (my kids actually) to PXtoys 9203e 4x4 1/10. One I have converted to brushless and its great but it's basically rear wheel drive with little to no drive going to the front wheels. I have checked the diffs and gears and there is no stripping. I thought thicker diff oil might be the trick but my diffs have tiny holes in the case that the oil leaks from. Is this normal, do all diffs have bleed holes in them etc? When people say 'fill the diffs with oil' do they actually mean fill?

Can someone please explain?
Hmm, never heard of diff holes before specifically. Chances are those diffs aren't sealed like the higher-end diffs, but what a lot of us do with unsealed diffs is fill 'em with grease (and in most cases, I mean fill them to the brim), you may want to try thicker grease, that'll cut down on open-diff-freewheeling, it'll make it handle more like a limited slip diff, and thicker grease will also minimize the amount of grease that will eventually leak out of the holes. You don't need a specific grease, pretty much all grease is similar, some people like marine grease cause that helps repel water, but just about any old auto/general purpose thick-ish grease will do.

Back