Difference between big and small block?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlobbia

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
What is the difference between big block and small block engines? I have been in nitro for quite a while but never really got a clear answer. Thanks.

The size of the block. :celebrate:

Jeez, I'm an idiot. Same as car engines, big block has a longer piston stroke and more low end torque. Small block is a shorter stroke with more RPMs on the high end. Different gear ratios for maximum performance.

The crank case is longer and wider physically. Carb is typically larger on a big block as is the exhaust port.

This is an old photo I had of a Omega 21 big block (top) and an OS 18 small block (bottom):
2005-0730-Omega21byOS18cvr.jpg

The crank case is longer and wider physically. Carb is typically larger on a big block as is the exhaust port.

This is an old photo I had of a Omega 21 big block (top) and an OS 18 small block (bottom):
2005-0730-Omega21byOS18cvr.jpg
Is there a point in size where it's defined as a big block? Like everything after .19 is a bb, and everything before is a sb?

Typically
.12 (2.0CC)-.20 (3.3CC) is small block
.21 (3.5cc) and up to .36 (5.9CC) is big block
.37 and up is kind of a specialty category, mounting is typically different than the standard sized for big blocks.
as usual in RC there are exceptions, like the O.S. .21TM, its a big block internals with a small block case.
Picco .26max and a few other ones that i can't recall, are was what is called a "Mid-Block", small"er" block, case with big block internals.