Diff oil weights for 2 different trucks.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The first truck is an Arrma Fury mega with the plastic gears, so, which would be better, 3000-5000CST diff oil or Mobil 1 red grease? Same question for an Associated SC10 Pro, that has metal gears (but not the new Pro2 or Pro4, the older Pro SC10 with the white body). I typically run Traxxas 5000CST oil in most of my trucks, but, especially in trucks with the plastic diff (Arrma Fury mega, HPI Jumpshot MT, Traxxas Stampede 2WD), I'm not sure if that would be too heavy for it or not.

ProSC10 and 5k diff fluid would be perfect starting point for most situations. The same for the Fury. 5k diff fluid for lightweight 2wd SCTs, and medium/loose conditions... good to go. That's what I normally run in my SC10, and T4 platforms that have gear diffs. Tune to your liking. But, I've already used Red N Tacky, Associated black grease, and Maxima Waterproof Grease in gear diffs when backyard track is loose.

ProSC10 and 5k diff fluid would be perfect starting point for most situations. The same for the Fury. 5k diff fluid for lightweight 2wd SCTs, and medium/loose conditions... good to go. That's what I normally run in my SC10, and T4 platforms that have gear diffs. Tune to your liking. But, I've already used Red N Tacky, Associated black grease, and Maxima Waterproof Grease in gear diffs when backyard track is loose.
I dont ever race them, just bash them in fields, gravel pits, muddy river banks, and skate parks. The biggest issue is, i dont have a hobby shop anywhere near me, so i was thinking of what would work that i could find locally (Auto parts stores, walmart, hardware stores), since i have to rebuild the AE diff, and i have no clue if the Fury diff has ever even been opened or not.

I don't have hobby shop near me either. I just get all my RC maintenance goodies from eBay, Amazon, or online hobby shops. PT RC Racing is where I get most of my diff and shock fluids as they have larger bottles of shock oil at lower price. If you got some Mobile 1 grease in your possession, go for it! I've used all kinds of grease in 2wd gear diffs. I only put 2S LiPo battery power through my 1/10 scale 2wd RCs most days. If you are going bonkers on power, then probably going to a thicker fluid would be your best bet at keep diff action to a reasonable level. There is no right/wrong answer as to what you should put in your diffs... it's all how you want your RC to turn, and how it puts the power down.

Back