Diff cleaning/lubrication

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siw

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I've managed to get hold of a replacement diff for my Kyosho alpha.
took it apart as it barely turned. The grease inside is more like clear chewing gum!
Is it ok to use thinners/meths to clean the internals?
For greasing up before assembly, can I use normal wheel bearing grease? (Proper car stuff)

Thanks for the reply, nothing like that, it’s more like very old grease
B76EBD6C-3EEE-4A60-91F2-470F125B3D2A.jpeg

I would clean it with brake cleaner and then re-grease it. Any online hobbies or local hobby shop will have diff grease.

To be honest, it looks rather clean.

My preferred solvent is naphtha. It's often sold as camping fuel and reasonably cheap for a gallon size container that will last for many diff rebuilds, and it can also be used to clean other parts that are covered in oil and grease. I just dump all the parts except for the o-rings and gasket in a mason jar, add enough solvent to cover them, shake it around a bit, leave it to soak for 10 minutes or so, then pour everything out through a kitchen strainer to collect all the parts, leave them to dry on a towel and they're usually clean enough and ready to reassemble.

I recommend using silicone diff oil instead of grease inside the diff, as even with packed grease the gears will cut a channel and leave you with what feels like an essentially open diff, which is generally not what you want. Look up what the manufacturer recommends for oil weight and start there. Definitely don't use ear plugs unless you want to blow drivetrain parts all the time from having a nearly locked diff. Wheel bearing grease is fine for the outer ring/pinion gears as long as the gearbox is enclosed.

Hoping to pop to the local shop later to get some stuff for the diff.

It's probably 500k or 1mil grease, essentially they are using it to make the diff into a limited slip diff. That stuff is pretty gooey and sticky for sure :D

Going to use some old fuel to degrease it later and put some new grease on tomorrow and rebuild.
Tested the glow plug Earlier and got some fresh fuel, so might even try to start it by the weekend…..

Looks like the diff isn't sealed (no gasket). In that case silicone fluid will get out, even the thick stuff will slowly find a way out. Unless you can find a way to seal it, stick with grease 🤷

It’s all now put back together.
tried to start it earlier, but I think the glow plug battery thingy needs a full charge as had no luck earlier

All started yesterday, now the extra bits have arrived to sort the front diff, so it’ll be converted back to 4wd later.

Now runs great. Apart from lost a small grub screw from one of the couplers that holds a driveshaft.
ordered a load so can put it right.

then considering cleaning it up and selling. Really need something for proper off roading on mud/grass. Also fairly modern so spares are easily available

Silicone diff lube is your best bet. Stay away from petroleum based lubes when they will be in contact with plastic parts.

Just went to the local shop later to get some stuff for the diff.

FWIW, the QD electronic cleaner from an auto store works real well to clean a diff. its plastic safe of course, and dissolves silicone fluid.