Did my LHS $crew me?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwheels_stl

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I had put a Ultra LX pro on layaway for my son for x-mas Along with a few other things. Around $400 total. Two days later went back to upgrade to a Storm RTR, new pipe and the same servo and fail safe I had gotten for the LX Pro. Damn near doubling my my total. I know had I shopped around I could have saved a good chunk of money... but figuring it was my first nitro car I thought it would be good to get it from them (they are the best R/C car shop in Saint Louis) so if I had any questions they would have no problem helping me. I didn't ask them for any deals or anthing! And they are gonna charge me $10 "restocking fee"! "WHAT THE #%*@?!" You're gonna charge me money to give you more money? I don't wanna bash any names here, but that seems to me like a sorry way to treat a customer just getting into a VERY expensive hobby!? If I promised to give you $400 and a day or so later decided to give give $800 instead would you say to me that I have to give you $810 for changing my mind? Am I missing the reasonable explaination for this? Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited:
should of told them you didnt want any of it and you would pay them the 10 re-stocking fee and find another hobby shop.

Buy your models online and buy your parts from them, save yourself some money and anxiety.

didn't realize that they had charged me the $10 til later! Don't get me wrong, I do know it is only *$10*! But it is the whole principle that they would do that poke me in the a$$ like that after having promised to give them all that money.

Go back and explain the situation and tell them how you feel about the $10 fee. If they want your business, they should refund the $10. Be sure to talk to someone in charge that can make decisions. I would be surprised it they didn't refund the money. It is not like you canceled the layaway. Of course their are an awful lot of assholes in the world and if they refuse the give the refund, it may be time to shop elsewhere.

I expect the $10 back regardless. At this point I will only buy all of the stuff from them if they make me a "happy customer" again. And the 10 bucks is not gonna bring us back to even. I expect more. they know I could shop on the net and save money and not care where the money I spend goes... thought I would help out a local business while meeting my beginner needs. I would rather deal with the frustration on my own, or better yet get help from you guys than get the screw job I am getting for trying to give someone my money! If all else fails I will pay another $10 to change my layaway get the remaining balance in merch. and walk my happy ass to the keyboard and start over and see if anyone else treats their customers any better!? (any hobby shop luckers... nows your chance to speak up! You may get a loyal customer out of it! And all you have to do NOT F ME!) BTW In case anyone is interested... Mark Twain Hobby In Saint Charles , MO is the LHS responsible for this mess.

My LHS model kit prices are ridiculously high, but I support them by buying other items.

I ordered a HPI RS4 3 RTR online for $239 w/free shipping, then bought all needed accessories at LHS

I really want to get a storm rtr. Like the buggy & the radio is real nice. Any sugestions where to look? I will look around on the net myself but would like some input from those who have gotten their stuff online.

I say "They have got some set..." I would've told em to go ............
Well, you know.

So far, I've been to about 6 R/C shops within a 40mile radius of my house. I'd say 2 of them are a pleasure to deal with. The other 4 have self acclaimed R/C genius's that charge outrageous prices, only stock what they consider to be "The Best", & can't handle when a customer, like myself, challenges their vast knowledge in Nitro R/C. I say F@#K them... I'll stick to the forums for "know how" & the online dealers for parts & kits...
It's really a damn shame for the few good LHS's left. I still buy parts & fuel from the 2 shops I like & try to recommend them to other R/C hobbyists.
Sorry, just strikes a nerve....

hotwheels, just spoke to my LHS. said they would sell the storm rtr to you for 530.00 plus shipping, if you were interested.

Ya know this is kind of a thread that pops up from time to time. Hotweels I'd pretty much say they :bowned: you on the Ten dollards. If the package was still in tact than they seriously should have taken it back no questions asked. I dunno I would've been pretty upset too. Let alone the fact that you gave them more money. I have two LHS's that I go to. One is great and the other is a hobbytown that I seriously just can't stand to go to. Newayz ask for it back dude. Besides I spend most of my money online and am a happy camper that way Later.

IMB... I understand! They are tap dancing on my nevers rite now!No need to apologize to me, my friend.

Nitro... Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind when shopping around.

New... I think you may have misread. I never took the stuff out of the store. It was in layaway.

i worked at a rlrctronics store andwe only charge that restocking fee if we have to retock something thats a BS charge, and i think you should let them know about it.

Man sorry to hear that. Maybe it's cuz of the layaway. I mean I've never heard of a LHS doing that at all. Ya know cuz they had to take that particular box off the market. Still I don't agree with it. Later

i hate to be the the one to break the news to you but most of the small hobby shops will give you a good dicount on everything that you purchase from them if they know that they are getting the the bulk of you purchases. i'd rather support local business than purchasing from an online source ( at least you know who you're supporting ). for instance, the largest hobby shop in the area is ususally the most expensive but they always have the the part or vehicle and they get it first. no use discussing discounts because they will not. the 3 other shops that i patronize are smaller mom and pop stores with some very good techs. depending on the store i'm getting a 5% or more discount on any of purchases. my favorite usually charges me 10% over his cost, but i spend a lot of money and reffer a lot of business his way.

FYI

Last edited:
i can understand why you bought the stuff there, being that you're new and you think you may need help with stuff. i did the same thing, and my lhs appreciated that and they give me deals on everything, andthe guys there fix my stuff for FREE , because I'm always tehre mostly . but regardless . i say you walk back in there, give them another 10 bucks to restock that storm and write "F*c% YOU" on it real big in permanent marker . then kick something expensive on your way out

I talked to a manager at the LHS today... boy was he pissed! He was kissin my ass from the word go. Got my ten bucks back +. I couldn't remeber the guys name who did this to me... but he REALLY wanted to know who it was. He explained that kids will come in put something on layaway and want to back out of it the next day. For as pissed as I was I have to hand it to this guy... he was very apologetic and said the one thing that I really wanted to hear... he wants my business. I can honestly say as a local independent business man myself, I believe he is trying to fix his employees screw-up because he knows that I *will* take my $ elsewhere.

I am glad it all worked for you hotwheels.:yes:

Back