Did anybody tell me about the serpent brand?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitro2020

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
How is the parts reliability? Is it easy to replace parts and is it cheap?

I haven't seen too much of them only at a few places like amain or Michael's hobbies.

Why is it not like a Traxxas where you see it a lot?

They have been around for about 9 or 10 years, something like that. They lean more towards touring cars and buggies.
However they do offer Truggies and such.
I would definitely buy one if I had the money.
Traxxas, Armma and others like this lean towards the hobbyist.
Serpent is more the racing scene.

Last edited:
How is the parts reliability? Is it easy to replace parts and is it cheap?

I haven't seen too much of them only at a few places like amain or Michael's hobbies.

Why is it not like a Traxxas where you see it a lot?

Serpent is more for racing ,they are not your ordinary back yard beater ,an
they were well known in the on road racing seen at famous International tracks!..:cool:
I think Mugen & Serpent is into together on certain stuff!

Because Traxxas is more focused on the casual back yard hobbiest ,an they know
that parts are going to break!...:hehe:

Serpent is more for racing ,they are not your ordinary back yard beater ,an
they were well known in the on road racing seen at famous International tracks!..:cool:
I think Mugen & Serpent is into together on certain stuff!

Because Traxxas is more focused on the casual back yard hobbiest ,an they know
that parts are going to break!...:hehe:
however you mean certain stuff?

They’ve been around for a while. They’re popular when a local track gets some support for them. The people I know that run them love them. I’d have a hard time picking one over Mugen or Xray, but that said, I wouldn’t rule it out.

Serpent Model Racing Cars is one the leading manufacturers of RC radio controlled model-cars for competition purposes.
Serpent has been around from the very start of the RC racing hobby, with over 40 years of racing experience with many national and international victories, including World titles.
The company was officially founded in 1980 by Pieter Bervoets and companion Ron Ton and started in 1/8 scale gas powered on road racing, but has developed into other segments of the RC market step by step.

I may have been wrong on that ,it was Mugen/Seiki .not Serpent ,but Serpent is top of the line stuff!.. :cool:

Heres a vid on a Serpent to show what they are & known for!..:hehe:

Hello. This serpent brand the reason why I was interested in it because I like the on road cars that they make. But at $700 to $1,000.

Let me explain the reason why I want it 1/8 scale Electric.

4 years ago I was at a hobby shop I heard this strange kind of sound. And I asked the guy said what is that and it was a guy driving something. I could tell it was a bigger motor because of how it sound so I asked what scale was and they say it 1/8 scale.

So here's this guy driving this buggy around and making high speed pass short ones. And the sound was impressive the cab drivers like oh you like to buy that, I told him I wish I did I would have bought it already I said.

Ever since then I wanted an a scale but not just any kind I wanted something I can build from scratch. I didn't want to ready to run, I didn't want a already built model. It really started office upgrading a Savage X 4.6 to have reverse. Had to take half of the chassis apart to do it.

After I was done I actually had fun working with my hands and that's where the interest came and wanted to build a kit. And the fun in fact it was nowhere compared to the fun the Tamiya kits I had at the time was not compared to as far as the TT 01 and the tto2 b.

Those kids were easy to build and it wasn't that fun. The plastic was break a lot and you would have to spend a lot of money to make him stronger as far as materials.

So next thing I knew I sold both of them. And then for the last two or three years i'm sitting here trying to really figure out what I want.

The problem is getting a kit is more expensive than it was yours back. I've seen 8 scale kits for like a little less than what I've seen today. I mean like two or three hundred dollars less.

I mean serpent R I was always expensive but well I was impressed was the chassis design. What really made me want to buy it. Which I don't have money to buy it. The Tower Hobbies had it I would have used the EZ Pay system and would have gotten it from that way.

But Tower Hobbies does not even sell this brand. Let alone the other ones that were mentioned.

So that's my story and asking about stuff. Cuz I noticed the stuff that I am interested in is in the category of the serpent brands. And it cost a whole lot of money. And you don't see too many stores as far as local hobby shops. Caring those brands.

And I ain't never thought that I would come to the place where I'm looking at account log of kitless models. When I say that I mean there's not a lot that you could do as far as building from scratch.

Used to be a whole bunch of on-road stuff.

Looking at this brand serpent. I guess it's a good brand. But what I'm saying is i'm talking about like how reliable are the parts if you break something.

I understand that it's for people who really know what they're doing and don't make mistakes or have it's sort of a non budget income basically.

But I was looking at this pan car and I was studying and how much some of the parts cost.

The chassis plate actually cost if you replace it $130. Then there's the rear axle which is where the motor and the changing gear is attached to.

The axle the rear one is actually the second most expensive thing if that ever gets broken or compromis, that would cost $50.

But here's the conflict with that while it's not an issue but where do you get these parts from if you buy from A Main Hobbies and they don't sell them.

I'm looking at it right now. If you can order directly from the manufacturer. I just don't see buying something in a way that it may not be convenient as far as finding Replacements all the time and I know it's not a beater up. Wait.

Let me ask a question is there like a limit of what kind of surface as far as flat surface that you can drive a pan car on?

Notice what I'm looking at has no shocks.

It's not the kind that I think if you bump into something it wasn't a sword of it I don't?
https://www.serpent.com/xcart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=10788#product-details-tab-Spares

Looking at this brand serpent. I guess it's a good brand. But what I'm saying is i'm talking about like how reliable are the parts if you break something.

I understand that it's for people who really know what they're doing and don't make mistakes or have it's sort of a non budget income basically.

But I was looking at this pan car and I was studying and how much some of the parts cost.

The chassis plate actually cost if you replace it $130. Then there's the rear axle which is where the motor and the changing gear is attached to.

The axle the rear one is actually the second most expensive thing if that ever gets broken or compromis, that would cost $50.

But here's the conflict with that while it's not an issue but where do you get these parts from if you buy from A Main Hobbies and they don't sell them.

I'm looking at it right now. If you can order directly from the manufacturer. I just don't see buying something in a way that it may not be convenient as far as finding Replacements all the time and I know it's not a beater up. Wait.

Let me ask a question is there like a limit of what kind of surface as far as flat surface that you can drive a pan car on?

Notice what I'm looking at has no shocks.

It's not the kind that I think if you bump into something it wasn't a sword of it I don't?
https://www.serpent.com/xcart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=10788#product-details-tab-Spares

I dont know ,this type of car ,I dont think that it is popular in a lot of areas that dont have a track for them ,
that being said ,the hobby shops in those area's is not going to support that model or stock the parts for it ,
however ,you would have to order from their dealer ,their website should offer the nearest local dealer that
handles the parts for it!

As far as it being a pan car ,yes ,it will not handle too much of a rough surface on high speed cornering like
one would have with shocks!
The pan cars also has a solid rear axle an may handle totally different on a rough road ,an it being low to the
ground!

That car is for high speeds on a smooth surface like a track an not for a street with small crevases or ripples
in my opinion!

I would not get that type just for that reason ,if I was to get more of a street car ,it would have to be the proper
tunable suspension & differential set up!
Also ,to me ,that car is not worth paying that price for because it lacks versatility ,an there is less car for that
huge price!

I hope this helps!... :cool:

I dont know ,this type of car ,I dont think that it is popular in a lot of areas that dont have a track for them ,
that being said ,the hobby shops in those area's is not going to support that model or stock the parts for it ,
however ,you would have to order from their dealer ,their website should offer the nearest local dealer that
handles the parts for it!

As far as it being a pan car ,yes ,it will not handle too much of a rough surface on high speed cornering like
one would have with shocks!
The pan cars also has a solid rear axle an may handle totally different on a rough road ,an it being low to the
ground!

That car is for high speeds on a smooth surface like a track an not for a street with small crevases or ripples
in my opinion!

I would not get that type just for that reason ,if I was to get more of a street car ,it would have to be the proper
tunable suspension & differential set up!
Also ,to me ,that car is not worth paying that price for because it lacks versatility ,an there is less car for that
huge price!

I hope this helps!... :cool:
Thank you for the information. I told Mom that it doesn't come with the tires and the body. She thought it was a rip-off being much as it is.

I mean there's other ones that have better parts for suspension but they're like on up.

When I bought the Losi 8ight Elite I'm not sure if I was making the right decision. But I think I might have because. What I wanted a real kit to build. I actually want something with shocks. Pan cars mostly I don't know much about them but I know that the suspension is lacked.

Also I'm getting on road tires for the Losi 8ight buggy. Since I want the kit to be mostly on a smaller wheels for like on road speed.

I think would be nice about the off-road because of the suspension you can kind of Drive almost any surface just about.