decreasing motor temps?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishaddict

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to the nitro world and was just wondering how to decrease motor temps? I know I still need to get a temp gun and have been reading to keep temps between 230-260.

The first priority is the carb settings and the right fuel. Just make sure you don't exceed the manufacturers settings and use a quality fuel with the right nitro and oil percentage. The next priority is to make sure the body has a few windows for proper ventilation to air cool the engine. The last thing to do is to seal the engine with gasket sealer and then use green slime on the o rings on the needles from the carb. There's a sticky on this site on how to seal the engine along with videos on YouTube.

Yeah tune for performance and smoke, using temps only as a guide.

I guess I'm kinda opposite when it comes to tuning. I tune to temp and keep my temps in the safe zone. To me the smoke will always be there so I trust my temp gauge and the sound of my engine. If its lean you'll hear the different pitch of the engine and it will machine gun so to speak. The temp gauge is there to really see if your high speed is lean or not in my book. Till this day I don't know how I got by without a temp gun and not over leaned my engines.

I've broken in and ran 3 gallons of fuel through my 2.5R revo without ever having a temp gun to use. I tune by performance and what the engine is telling me. I just today put a gun on it after 1 tank with best performance tune and no hanging after a wide open pass and plenty of smoke. With it pushing mid 90s outside my engine temp was 287 and that was after richening it a little to get some heat off the head. And from the drop of water testing I've been doing the whole time that is the temp this engine runs best at. Same temp outside with the .26 max one tank it reads 220. So i do believe some engines just run hotter than others so the 250-260 range is not necessarily the correct range for all engines and I'm sticking to my way of tuning which is best for me. Tune for performance and not temps but do use temps as a guideline.

---------- Post added at 4:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:13 PM ----------

Also i just broke the 2.5R down for cleaning and re sealing and the piston looked great! No pitting or discoloration. Still has good pinch as well. So soaked it all in some 33% and put her back together and sealed the carb neck and backplate good with red rtv. I was expecting some signs of high heat but found none. So I'm fine with her running in the 280s.

I've broken in and ran 3 gallons of fuel through my 2.5R revo without ever having a temp gun to use. I tune by performance and what the engine is telling me. I just today put a gun on it after 1 tank with best performance tune and no hanging after a wide open pass and plenty of smoke. With it pushing mid 90s outside my engine temp was 287 and that was after richening it a little to get some heat off the head. And from the drop of water testing I've been doing the whole time that is the temp this engine runs best at. Same temp outside with the .26 max one tank it reads 220. So i do believe some engines just run hotter than others so the 250-260 range is not necessarily the correct range for all engines and I'm sticking to my way of tuning which is best for me. Tune for performance and not temps but do use temps as a guideline.

---------- Post added at 4:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:13 PM ----------

Also i just broke the 2.5R down for cleaning and re sealing and the piston looked great! No pitting or discoloration. Still has good pinch as well. So soaked it all in some 33% and put her back together and sealed the carb neck and backplate good with red rtv. I was expecting some signs of high heat but found none. So I'm fine with her running in the 280s.

+1 Zdragon..... Every engine has a different temp it will run at when tuned optimally and that temp is affected by the temps outside as well so that is why people say to tune for smoke and performance. I only use a temp gauge to keep tabs on my engine and make sure it doesn't get out of hand. I think at some point probably around the 290-300F range is probably bad for any engine so I also use my tempgun for that too.