Dead TRX3.3. Need Some Help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3mist

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Long story short, this was my first nitro and I abused the hell out of it learning about my truck. Quite honestly I'm fairly impressed with the abuse it took. It finally died and I have the engine apart (well, cooling head, backplate, and flywheel)

With my limited or more accurate non-existant experience it looks pretty good inside. I can't see any dirt or anywhere that dirt may have entered. The wall of the sleeve does not have any visible damage, like dirt scratching the sidewall. But I really have no idea what I'm looking at either, lol. Also, there is no pinch between the sleeve and piston, I mean, its basically like butter up and down. So I'm guessing this is the main issue.

I'll be replacing it with the .21tm. But I'd like to get this engine going again because why not and I'd like to learn.

All I need a piston and sleeve to get compression back? Also should I replace the bearings since its apart? How do I clean this thing without damaging anything? I havent removed anything from the inside of the engine yet because I'm not sure how atm.

I'd be happy to take pics if anyone would like to take a look.

Long story short, this was my first nitro and I abused the hell out of it learning about my truck. Quite honestly I'm fairly impressed with the abuse it took. It finally died and I have the engine apart (well, cooling head, backplate, and flywheel)

With my limited or more accurate non-existant experience it looks pretty good inside. I can't see any dirt or anywhere that dirt may have entered. The wall of the sleeve does not have any visible damage, like dirt scratching the sidewall. But I really have no idea what I'm looking at either, lol. Also, there is no pinch between the sleeve and piston, I mean, its basically like butter up and down. So I'm guessing this is the main issue.

I'll be replacing it with the .21tm. But I'd like to get this engine going again because why not and I'd like to learn.

All I need a piston and sleeve to get compression back? Also should I replace the bearings since its apart? How do I clean this thing without damaging anything? I havent removed anything from the inside of the engine yet because I'm not sure how atm.

I'd be happy to take pics if anyone would like to take a look.

Well .if your really desperate an the pist/sleeve is not damaged ,you can send it to somebody to re pinch the sleeve!
But to be honest with you ,I wouldn't spend the money ,when the cost is almost the half of another engine....:cool:

Bearings usually last a while. If it was mine I would replace the piston and sleeve. Break it in again and you should be good to go.

Well .if your really desperate an the pist/sleeve is not damaged ,you can send it to somebody to re pinch the sleeve!
But to be honest with you ,I wouldn't spend the money ,when the cost is almost the half of another engine....:cool:
Not desperate, I have a replacement on the way and I swapped my jato's into the revo for now because I like driving the revo more. But yeah, I mean, the piston and sleeve look fine, I had no idea you could repinch. I'll have to talk to my LHS and see what they say.

Bearings usually last a while. If it was mine I would replace the piston and sleeve. Break it in again and you should be good to go.
This is what I'm going to do I think. I'd like to take a shot at getting it going again. Mainly because I need to learn at least some basics about this poop so I don't have to depend on someone else for it.

What can I clean the engine with? Degreaser ok or can that cause damage?

Be cautious with the hobby shop. They are there to sell parts. If they tell you it can't be repinched but can't point out damage that would prevent a sucessful rebuild, move on. Find a rebuilder online. Repinching is cheap in comparison to a new sleeve and piston. If you are going to buy a new sleeve, you buy that AND the piston where the piston and sleeve combo break in together. That's why you can get away with a repinch in the first place. I have seen re-pinch tools for sale on eBay and they are pretty cheap as well. I have never used one however so I can't recommend one or if one is better than another and why.
A spray carb and choke cleaner will do fine for your clean-up or you could go with a brake cleaner. Difference being that the brake clean leaves no residue. You can also use a denatured alchohol for your clean up. Be sure to wear eye protection if you use a spray. With all the little angles etc, it's almost guaranteed you'll be getting spray-back! It's NO FUN in your eyes!!! Q-tips and some nylon brushes/old toothbrushes will be very helpful! Keep in mind that you can go to traxxas and do an engine swap thru them. I am not sure on pricing but a comparison will help keep your spending goal in check. I am all for learning and this is a great way for you to start!
Good luck!

Last edited:
The last time I checked on the Traxxas Power-Up Program was charging $80 for a new 3.3 Swap. You'll need to keep several parts like the carb, for the new engine.

This just arrived :D

bG5Xsxc.jpg

Repinching is cheap in comparison to a new sleeve and piston.

I saw paired traxxas 3.3 sleeve/pistons on amazon for $42. I think I'm going to do some research on getting a tool since you mentioned it. I figure I can hopefully find some good videos and try it myself. Worst case I'll have to get a new piston/sleeve. There's only one way to learn...

I have heard MANY stories about making the tools, using hose clamps etc, etc... The tools are CHEAP! I don't know anything about this particular shop, he was just the first Google...
http://www.rayaracing.com/prodresize.htm
That's to send it out and have it pinched. (don't think you are taking the easy way out. Sending the parts out to have them done is what most ppl do.)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Sleeve...o-engine-resizer-pinch-resizing-/380386943792

This is the wrong tool... I don't see a traxxas listed right now but I'll bet if you contact the seller, they'll likely still have a few for sale.
For $12 plus shipping, is it worth Mickey mousing with pipes and clamps to very possibly get the sleeve out of round and trash what you have? Personally, I vote no.
Its up to you of course but I would send my parts out before I went the pipe and clamp method. It would SUCK to not know if you did the job right or not on top of that.

This just arrived :D
Good news there tho!!! Since you've been able to find so many ways to fix the 3.3, you've really got no use for that new engine. Since I HAPPEN to have JUST the right buggy that HAPPENS to need that engine... You can just send it to me and keep that area of workspace open! (I'm always looking out for you! ;) :thumbs-up:)

The tool for the 3.3 is there ...i already put up the link for it ...and the clamp used in the video is basically the same thing as the tool..any other styles of clamps i would not see working...pretty sure someone with decent mechanic skills can get it done ...but i would not recommend it to the guy who takes his rig to the hobby shop for fixing

Agreed. the point of this is that he wants to learn about this. In otherwords, no working knowledge. Without a working knowledge, there is really no way he would know if any of this is working properly.
Thanks for finding the link. I looked last night and for whatever reason, was only able to come up with the one I posted. Weird. Anyway, I would DEF spend the money for the tool over the clamp method, but whatever, it's not my money or my motor. When I do my o.s. .18 it will be my call. Lol!

The video was really helpful showing where the piston sits with a proper pinch. Making my own tool is not something I'm prepared for though, for sure.

I decided to pick up that 3.3 repinch tool off ebay. We'll see how it goes!

Edit: I'm half tempted to just pick up a new piston/sleeve pair so I have a reference point.

Last edited:
let us know in a month or 2 how it goes ..( because thats probably how long it will take for the tool to get to you ) ..lol...but if you are lucky , you might get it in less than a month..i also have a 3.3 that will need a repinch soon ..or maybe i might try to bring my old wasp .26 back to life ..i loved that engine

Yeah, I saw the estimated delivery date. Good thing I'm not dead in the water. I guess I'll just have to suck it up with the O.S. in the meantime.:smuggrin:

I experimented with pinching a sleeve with a hose clamp in the oven ,it wasn't a tight pinch ,but it was
just enough to get a few more runs out of the engine!...:D

Some of those resizer people will ask you how much pinch you want ,so I believe there is different
pinch tightness ,like a mild pinch!..

I myself have been thinking on buying the tool ,I've been watching one on Ebay for my Hyper 21's!...:D

I used RayARacing for a few pistons/sleeves:
RCNT-myPinchThread

I'd go that route if you want it to last. The clamp tools don't let you get things perfectly round and also don't let you judge how much pinch your adding. Really needs a press that compresses the entire thing evenly.

http://www.rayaracing.com/hardware101.htm

I found this to be very informative. Something to consider. As I had warned about the hobby shops answers, keep in mind that Ray's is also interested in selling his products. I am not suggesting he is wrong or this is inaccurate by any means. He has WAY more experience than I will likely ever have!!!

I experimented with pinching a sleeve with a hose clamp in the oven ,it wasn't a tight pinch ,but it was
just enough to get a few more runs out of the engine!...:D

I wonder if the pinch tool I'm getting would be up to that. Seems like you would get a much better pinch if the sleeve was hot? Hmmmm.

I think that would backfire tremendously. The reason I say this is That unless you get even heat thru the whole sleeve, it will not bend uniformly. You are likely correct in that it will bend more easily, making the tool bend the metal far too much. Just my thoughts tho. I don't have experience with heating sleeves but I have worked with cutting torches for YEARS.

I wonder if the pinch tool I'm getting would be up to that. Seems like you would get a much better pinch if the sleeve was hot? Hmmmm.

The sleeves lose pinch from heat ,I think a slow heat in an oven wouldn't hurt!
You can start a slow heat ,an gradually turn the heat up to further temps!

My thoughts ,the engine is no good with lost compression ,so you don't have nothing to lose!...:D