D3MON's LRP S8 Rebel BX, LE- Pic heavy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3MON

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys!
been meaning to start a progress/build thread about this for awhile, but just havent been able to, just a really interesting piece (at least to me) so wanted to keep a detailed log of the project.

for the most part, wanted to keep it as OE as possible, just because of what it is, and the history behind it.
not all to long ago had no idea that these even existed, until i was talking with a good friend from overseas and he had one and was showing some videos/pictures.
buggy is a LRP S8 Rebel BX-Limited edition, truck started its life in Europe, was shipped to the U.S. then made its way to me.
this was a first for me as it was the first new nitro platform I've ever owned, and is my first experience with 1/8 buggy/truggy.
unboxing pictures:
20210119_200220.jpg

20210119_200426.jpg

20210119_200702.jpg

as received it did not have an engine, clutch, or exhaust assembly, otherwise was complete.
given it had been sitting since 2014, wanted to go through and do all the checks and balances.
started with servicing the shocks, none of them were leaking but fresh oil never hurts!
started with 45wt oil just as a baseline, and i dont really have access to a real "track" so so should be fine for more of a basher.
draining and re-filled with fresh oil.
kind of an interesting note, don't really know if it was the oil type, brand, or just from sitting for so long, but almost had a sour smell to it? never experienced that before.
20210120_232245.jpg

from there, i went onto the diffs, was a bit surprised to find that internally they used grease in the diffs, but being RTR nitro i guess i shouldn't have been too surprised.
went with 7k Front, 10k middle, 5k rear.
started with the rear:
20210120_234606.jpg

inside:
20210121_193832.jpg

cleaned up and ready for some diff oil.
20210121_225308.jpg

filled and ready to go:
20210121_232206.jpg

diffs & shocks done and re-installed:
20210123_002229.jpg

Crazy how almost every semi-sizable piece of plastic has "LRP" molded into it.
found a lightly used Reds Tetra clutch for a decent price so picked that up for the buggy, used a Reds 14T clutchbell as well.
received_466341024775218.jpeg

pipe and engine installed, all i had on hand for an engine was a HPI S25, which had just recently been repinched by Rex over at RWmods.
pipe is a Ofna Jammin JP-2 that i got used and cleaned up as it was filthy when i got it.
(flywheel in picture was a mock up one, at the time was still waiting for the Reds in the mail)
LRP S25 & JP2 pipe.jpg

first day out for its maiden voyage:
side shot buggy & starting equip.jpg

side shot buggy & TX.jpg

was really awesome to run, completely different experience than anything else i have had before running nitro.
the few tanks i had ran was really rich and taking it pretty easy re-running it in from a light pinch.
right near the end managed to lose a wheel nut and run time was cut short, but i did get 3 tanks before that happening.
was difficult trying to determine the wheel nut pitch, figured out to be M12 x 1.0 after ordering the incorrect pitch ones.
fancy new wheel nuts:
LRP Factory Wheel.jpg

since running it with the HPI S25, my wife knew i was really wanting to build it OE, and she managed to find the stock engine, and LRP Z25R, in the UK, and she surprised me with it for my birthday!
LRP Z25 in package.jpg

LRP Z25 out of package.jpg

Installed in buggy:
LRP w Z25R body off.jpeg

LRP w Z25R body on.jpg

so far that is about it. still need to break in the new engine, want to get a second set of tires to try to keep the OE ones in good shape.
found a body that would fit as well too, so going to paint that up and use it for when i run.

hope you enjoyed the read, thanks for following along.

Dude I absolutely love your build threads. This was a pleasure to read and I’m glad your enjoying your rare as a hens tooth buggy. Shelve those stock tires immediately if you want to keep them
In good shape. Good luck with the LRP .25, again that’s so cool and an engine I’ve never heard. Always cool to learn of something knew. Take care bud.

...wife knew i was really wanting to build it OE, and she managed to find the stock engine, and LRP Z25R, in the UK, and she surprised me with it for my birthday!
Wait....what?

Your wife actually has a clue about your hobby? Keeper!

If I happen to mentioned that I needed batteries for my vehicles, my wife would probably surprise me with Energizer D cells. 😂

Nice buggy, and apparently even nicer wife! That's super cool she did that for you!

Dude I absolutely love your build threads. This was a pleasure to read and I’m glad your enjoying your rare as a hens tooth buggy. Shelve those stock tires immediately if you want to keep them
In good shape. Good luck with the LRP .25, again that’s so cool and an engine I’ve never heard. Always cool to learn of something knew. Take care bud.
thanks man! i try to keep them as detailed as possible. probably not everyone's cup of tea for how i do it, but its how i like to write them up lol
been making sure to keep the buggy on a stand of some sort, and been sort of hesitant to run it yet because i am sure the new engine has some mean power and probably wont last long with it.
Wait....what?

Your wife actually has a clue about your hobby? Keeper!

If I happen to mentioned that I needed batteries for my vehicles, my wife would probably surprise me with Energizer D cells. 😂
haha yeah definitely got lucky with her :) she got the part number and everything out the manual for her to order it.
so far have her set up with 2 nitro rigs, one Nitro Evader BX, and one AE Mini MGT, also owns a granite Mega converted to BLX, but she does all the work on them herself when they need repairs or upgrades :)
Great lookin buggy! Enjoy! :)
thank you! been a blast working on it and test driving it the little bit that i have.
It's great to see guys still building and driving nitro rigs. Nice looking buggy D3mon
picked up a few electrics rigs recently, but Nitro is still my main joy of the hobby lol, love building them, tinkering with them, and even just restoring them. eventually need to do a write up on another nitro that was recently added to the fleet lol. have seen an uptick in people getting into nitro recently which is really nice to see people coming over and enjoying it. thank you!
Nice buggy, and apparently even nicer wife! That's super cool she did that for you!
thanks man! yeah i was really surprised when it came in the mail! feel really spoiled.

Back