CVEC Pipes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaelaria

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What is everyone's opinions on CVEC pipes? What application do they work the best in? Do they work as promised? Are they worth the price compared to alternatives? Are they durable? Have you ever done back to back testing with other top pipes? Can they be modified and improved?

If you are going to race in track. Don't bother to buy one as they are illegal in most race track because of moving part inside the pipe.

Why do you want to modify? It is a great piece of work :)

I have a CVEC Pipe on my savage and I love it. Its much quiter than the stock ribbed pipe, and provides great low end power, or high end when tuned for it.

For a buggy they are no good. You have to cut too much out of the rock gaurd and the body to get them installed and as it was said before they are illegal.

Also love the CVEC's, mine has a dual stinger and my wife's has a single stinger. It sounds like a Harley. :D

They are definately not ROAR legal due to TWO reasons, moving parts and they exceed the allowable decibels (Can't remember the exact number.)

The CVEC variable backpressure increases efficiency (saves fuel) by reducing the fuel lost in scavenging, and also allows you to "tune" (this is really really the wrong word) the adjustable pressure to enhance high end power and low end punch. Most importantly, a properly tuned engine and pipe will prevent the engine from loading up at idle - you can idle indefinately without it loading up. This is because wih a normal pipe, you need to keep the fuel mix rich enough for the rest of the power band, which tends to flood the engine at idle. With a CVEC, it doesn't need to be as rich because the adjustable backpressure keeps fuel normally lost in the chamber, where it belongs.

The DOWN side: there is DEFINATELY a "sweet spot" for any CVEC/engine combo. If you don't find it you are likely to hate it, as many RC'ers do. You need to be in the habit of opening up the pipe and adjusting the baffle now and then, and getting a feel for what does what and how it affects your engine. And always always always tune your engine every time you run (trhis is just not due to the CVEC.)

Yeah, I love 'em. :D