Custom Traxxas Rustler drag truck

• Thread starter Juggalo Racing 73
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggalo Racing 73

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I have an older Rustler I have been thinking about building into a drag car,, been throwing around the idea of either using a .28 Dynamite or a .28 SH,,, the SH has more HP the price difference is only about 30$, will be upgrading the suspension to full metal along with shocks and steel drivelines,have also been throwing around the idea of putting a 2 speed Jato transmission in it, I will be putting a McAllister 30's style body on it also, tires are no problem already have a nice set in mind,, does anyone have any other suggestions I can put into it

I have no experience in this area but it sounds cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :thumbs-up:

I have no experience in this area but it sounds cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :thumbs-up:
I will be posting it when done for sure might take a couple of months to do,,,as any good project should

I have done many custom drag rc cars has and electric.

I have an older Rustler I have been thinking about building into a drag car,, been throwing around the idea of either using a .28 Dynamite or a .28 SH,,, the SH has more HP the price difference is only about 30$, will be upgrading the suspension to full metal along with shocks and steel drivelines,have also been throwing around the idea of putting a 2 speed Jato transmission in it, I will be putting a McAllister 30's style body on it also, tires are no problem already have a nice set in mind,, does anyone have any other suggestions I can put into it
@johnnydmd is the nitro drag guru round these parts. I'm guessing a high RPM .21 would be better for drag racing than a .28 but I'll let Johnny weigh in on that.

@johnnydmd is the nitro drag guru round these parts. I'm guessing a high RPM .21 would be better for drag racing than a .28 but I'll let Johnny weigh in on that.

There are high rpm .28 engines that are great for drag racing, ones with 8 ports, etc. Displacement doesn't affect rpm as much as the bore vs stroke and porting.

There are high rpm .28 engines that are great for drag racing, ones with 8 ports, etc. Displacement doesn't affect rpm as much as the bore vs stroke and porting.
Thats good to know. I thought the .21s had higher RPM capabilities than the .28s but then again I only bash so I never paid much attention to RPM rating on nitro engines :)

I will have to talk to him and pick his brain on how I should go about this build,, Thanks
I was checking out the SH .28 and .21 the .28 has more RPM and HP
What kind of builds have you done

I will have to talk to him and pick his brain on how I should go about this build,, Thanks

I was checking out the SH .28 and .21 the .28 has more RPM and HP

What kind of builds have you done

I’m not at home but can send you info and pics of builds. From full custom tube chassis ect.

I’m not at home but can send you info and pics of builds. From full custom tube chassis ect.
Sick,, would absolutely love to see them

This is an example of the fully decked out big block nitro SE build using the DR Viper chassis:

319275137_10223987220411812_204669954535062823_n.jpg

This car ran a 2.3 on dry tire in September using Pro-Line Hoosiers (not the pictured JC Doteks). This was a conservative throttle tune due to the limited traction of the tires/wheels at that time as well. We shall see what it can do when ran as configured.

The chassis comes like this (minus steering servo):

315869390_10223934843022410_3510057762075306689_n.jpg

As pictured, it weighs only 469 grams. It uses a Jato transmission and fuel tank and Bandit/Slash suspension. The lower plate is two-piece with brackets that add stiffness in the drivetrain area (one can be removed if more flex is desired). The upper plate is one piece now, unlike this one pictured that is bracketed together (this was originally designed this way due to size of the router, but no longer necessary). I'm building one this week with the new upper plate and we re-weigh to see the difference (should be a little lighter).

You can run big or small block with this chassis. In the future an "alternate" rear half of the lower plate that accepts the single speed Slash transmission will be available as well (hence a good reason to keep the lower plate sectional).

2022 saw a huge increase in nitro SE interest and builds/races. It is blowing up in the South and Mid Atlantic right now, 2023 is going to be a watershed year for nitro no-prep racing. I started in 2019 with this and no prep in general was still kinda in its infancy, but nitro specifically was very few and far between outside of a few organizations/clubs running 1/10 scale prep stuff, and even that was dying. There are some guys out West trying to get it going there too in Vegas and Arizona. Not sure about Cali (well in that state they might just outlaw them, lol (not lol, more like sadness)). IMDRA is back and rolling and has added nitro SE classes. NPK is running nitro SE. Teams in Maryland, VA, Jersey, PA are all hooking up with the guys in the south and in particular there's going to be a number of events in Rockingham and VMP. There's also the Jato Nationals and some other stuff that's been going on and getting huge turnouts. There were a lot of good events in 2022 but 2023 is going be viral.

Last edited:
I will be posting it when done for sure might take a couple of months to do,,,as any good project should

Here it goes now I'm just going to try it most likely tomorrow

IMG_20230216_172923151.jpg

IMG_20230216_172927716.jpg

16765976229256504377034726405552.jpg

I might have opened it too much from 5.7 to whatever 7.3