Crane Model Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranemodel1015

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I have, for many years, been interested in crawler mounted cranes and, over the last fifty plus years, have collected information on a 1960s vintage 110 ton capacity P&H model 1015 crawler mounted crane that I have recently completed designing, building and documenting as a fully operational RC scale Crane Model. Here is a brief description of my project along with several photos of my finished model and a URL link to my Crane Model Build You Tube Channel’s Playlist.

This Crane Model is a 1/12th scale full functioning 8 channel Radio Controlled replica of the P & H Model 1015 Lattice Boom Crawler Mounted Crane. Power for the model is provided by a 12 Volt, 22 Amp/Hr LiFePO4 battery that is mounted at the right rear of the cab. The model’s left and right crawler treads are powered independently with 12 Volt gearmotors and propel the model at a scale speed of 60” per minute. The single Boom Hoist Drum, two Cable Hoist Drums and the Cab Swing are each powered by modified 12 V windshield wiper (worm gear) motors from late model VWs. The lattice boom is a hybrid design that utilizes select straight 5/16” dia oak x 36” long corner rods with 1/8” dia poplar lattice members, however the boom areas of stress concentration including the Boom Tip section, Boom End sections and the Boom Base section are 50/50 soldered brass tubing fabrications. View this model’s Playlist on You Tube at:

While a lot of my “build time” was spent in the design and documentation of over 117 pdf two view engineered drawings for all of the individual components, the creation of a 66 page Owner’s Manual and the capture of over 2,600 jpg construction photos, I would estimate the time required for an average hobby machinist to build the model to be around 1,200 to 1,500 hours. Note that access to, and knowledge of both a metal lathe (7” Swing Over Bed x 16” Distance Between Centers min) and mill (15” x 7.5” table travel min) are required.

Thanks for your time and interest in my model,
cranemodel1015

2A Finished Model Photo.jpg

Accessories.jpg

Action View.jpg

Cab Detail.jpg

Cab Machinery Left Side.jpg

Cab.jpg

Dragline lifting Swamp Mat.jpg

Dragline.jpg

Full Boom Photo.jpg

Ground Level View.jpg

Truly amazing work. Alot of people can't even build something with instructions and you scratch built something with incredible detail.

You have to build a scale sky scraper or something with that!

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! Just amazed at the level of detail and craftsmanship!

Incredible work and we all really appreciate you sharing.

Truly amazing work. Alot of people can't even build something with instructions and you scratch built something with incredible detail.

You have to build a scale sky scraper or something with that!
Thanks for your kind comments, Cubana, I hope my more detailed post under the RC Scale category are posted shortly.
Best Regards
This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! Just amazed at the level of detail and craftsmanship!
Thanks again WickedFog, I am so glad that my post is up on this site.
Have a nice day🎈
Incredible work and we all really appreciate you sharing.
Thanks Tubedpipe, have a Great Day🎈
Fantastic work! A real beauty for sure. 😍
Thanks again Doom!😎

Last edited:
I have, for many years, been interested in crawler mounted cranes and, over the last fifty plus years, have collected information on a 1960s vintage 110 ton capacity P&H model 1015 crawler mounted crane that I have recently completed designing, building and documenting as a fully operational RC scale Crane Model. Here is a brief description of my project along with several photos of my finished model and a URL link to my Crane Model Build You Tube Channel’s Playlist.

This Crane Model is a 1/12th scale full functioning 8 channel Radio Controlled replica of the P & H Model 1015 Lattice Boom Crawler Mounted Crane. Power for the model is provided by a 12 Volt, 22 Amp/Hr LiFePO4 battery that is mounted at the right rear of the cab. The model’s left and right crawler treads are powered independently with 12 Volt gearmotors and propel the model at a scale speed of 60” per minute. The single Boom Hoist Drum, two Cable Hoist Drums and the Cab Swing are each powered by modified 12 V windshield wiper (worm gear) motors from late model VWs. The lattice boom is a hybrid design that utilizes select straight 5/16” dia oak x 36” long corner rods with 1/8” dia poplar lattice members, however the boom areas of stress concentration including the Boom Tip section, Boom End sections and the Boom Base section are 50/50 soldered brass tubing fabrications. View this model’s Playlist on You Tube at:

While a lot of my “build time” was spent in the design and documentation of over 117 pdf two view engineered drawings for all of the individual components, the creation of a 66 page Owner’s Manual and the capture of over 2,600 jpg construction photos, I would estimate the time required for an average hobby machinist to build the model to be around 1,200 to 1,500 hours. Note that access to, and knowledge of both a metal lathe (7” Swing Over Bed x 16” Distance Between Centers min) and mill (15” x 7.5” table travel min) are required.

Thanks for your time and interest in my model,
cranemodel1015

View attachment 153513

View attachment 153514

View attachment 153515

View attachment 153516

View attachment 153517

View attachment 153518

View attachment 153519

View attachment 153520

View attachment 153521

View attachment 153522
The only thing this post is missing is the mic drop at the end. I'm speechless

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

The only thing this post is missing is the mic drop at the end. I'm speechless

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life
Greywolf74,
Thank you for your enthusiasticly positive comment, but please, don't damage your mic!
Hope you are having a nice day!
😎🎈

FJC_GUY,
Thanks for your positive comment.
Have a Great Day🎈
Tom

Back